Reload this Page >

Railway Work in AU / NZ - Advice Needed

Railway Work in AU / NZ - Advice Needed

Old Mar 13th 2017, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Dpasika is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Railway Work in AU / NZ - Advice Needed

Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of an advanced apprenticeship in railway (track) engineering in the UK, with a completion date of May 2017, and am looking to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand once I have my qualifications. What are my best options for going about this?

The qualifications I'm due to obtain from the scheme are:
- NVQ L3 in Track Engineering
- ILM L3 in Leadership
- BTEC L2 (Can't find the exact name of the course, will edit when I do)

Last edited by Dpasika; Mar 13th 2017 at 5:55 am. Reason: (Couple minor edits)
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:43 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Railway Work in AU / NZ - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Dpasika
Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of an advanced apprenticeship in railway (track) engineering in the UK, with a completion date of May 2017, and am looking to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand once I have my qualifications. What are my best options for going about this?

The qualifications I'm due to obtain from the scheme are:
- NVQ L3 in Track Engineering
- ILM L3 in Leadership
- BTEC L2 (Can't find the exact name of the course, will edit when I do)
I would probably suggest you stay where you are currently and gain higher qualifications.

The CSOL is Australia's list of occupations 'in demand' (not all really in demand but all can be used to get a skilled visa) but I'm not sure where your qualifications will fit. All engineering occupations require degree level qualifications (and I'm old school and would not call myself an engineer without one). L2/L3 qualifications would be at the same level as a fitter / electrician but I'm not sure if the range of skills you have, and the level of training, would meet the requirements for these occupations.

There is of course the working holiday visa which gives you the opportunity to spend 12 months touring the country and working to subsidise the trip (and the possibility for an additional 12 months if you meet the criteria or working in a regional area).

Sorry can't help with NZ.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I would probably suggest you stay where you are currently and gain higher qualifications.

The CSOL is Australia's list of occupations 'in demand' (not all really in demand but all can be used to get a skilled visa) but I'm not sure where your qualifications will fit. All engineering occupations require degree level qualifications (and I'm old school and would not call myself an engineer without one). L2/L3 qualifications would be at the same level as a fitter / electrician but I'm not sure if the range of skills you have, and the level of training, would meet the requirements for these occupations.

There is of course the working holiday visa which gives you the opportunity to spend 12 months touring the country and working to subsidise the trip (and the possibility for an additional 12 months if you meet the criteria or working in a regional area).

Sorry can't help with NZ.
No worries with the New Zealand one!
As for Australia, I'll take that all into account. Will also look into working holiday visas, might provide me with a chance to get some work experience in the rail industry there, even if it's short-term. Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 7:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dpasika
No worries with the New Zealand one!
As for Australia, I'll take that all into account. Will also look into working holiday visas, might provide me with a chance to get some work experience in the rail industry there, even if it's short-term. Thanks for the help!
One of the conditions of the WHV is that you are limited to 6 months max with an employer. If you do decide to use the WHV I would not think that you will get experience in your industry unless very lucky. Bar work, cafe's, fruit picking, etc are more common. Perhaps get some advice from a MARA agent for further info on skilled migration (or have a look at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection )
Old Mar 13th 2017, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
One of the conditions of the WHV is that you are limited to 6 months max with an employer. If you do decide to use the WHV I would not think that you will get experience in your industry unless very lucky. Bar work, cafe's, fruit picking, etc are more common. Perhaps get some advice from a MARA agent for further info on skilled migration (or have a look at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection )
Ahh, fair enough. I'll try and get in touch with a MARA agent then, sounds like my best bet for now. Thanks again for all the info.