Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing in Australia question

Hairdressing in Australia question

Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice
Default Hairdressing in Australia question

Hi folks,
Tried to do as much research as I can but can`t find a definitive answer to this.

I`m applying for a 175 visa having been assessed for my own job but my problem is this.

My wife has recently qualified to be a hairdresser through the local college at NVQ2 level. She is now working full time as a stylist in a salon. By my reckoning by the time we`re ready to move to oz she`ll have been working there for about two years. Also while she was at college she was working part time in another salon for the two years she was on her course. She also completed a barbering course while there too and for the last 18 months of her job in the last salon she was doing gents and childrens hair. Just wondering what her chances would be of picking up a job once we get to oz bearing in mind her qualifications and experience.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Annehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really nice
Default Re: Hairdressing in Australia question

Originally Posted by spence501
Hi folks,
Tried to do as much research as I can but can`t find a definitive answer to this.

I`m applying for a 175 visa having been assessed for my own job but my problem is this.

My wife has recently qualified to be a hairdresser through the local college at NVQ2 level. She is now working full time as a stylist in a salon. By my reckoning by the time we`re ready to move to oz she`ll have been working there for about two years. Also while she was at college she was working part time in another salon for the two years she was on her course. She also completed a barbering course while there too and for the last 18 months of her job in the last salon she was doing gents and childrens hair. Just wondering what her chances would be of picking up a job once we get to oz bearing in mind her qualifications and experience.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there,

She will have the same chances as anyone. Is your wife an all rounder hairdresser or is she only focused on gents and children. I moved over here in April and got a job within a week of being here as a casual i'm now permanently employed at a different salon. Also depends on where you are planning on moving to she may need a license. In and around Adelaide at the moment there is plenty of Hairdressing jobs being advertised. All you need to do is look and be patience.

Good luck with your process

Anne
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

She mainly does women`s hair now. For some reason her part time job was gents and kids. Thanks for the info, that`s all I needed to know
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:42 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spence501
She mainly does women`s hair now. For some reason her part time job was gents and kids. Thanks for the info, that`s all I needed to know
If moving to Perth you need to register with the hairdressing registration board! Theory & Practical test