Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

hairdressing in australia

hairdressing in australia

Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:19 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hairdressing in australia

Originally Posted by captaingriff
Hi guys im new to this but have been recommended by many.
I have been in oz a couple of years and love it,however iv owned my own salon since arriving as i was a hairdressing teacher in the uk. I vowed when i came here that we were going to have an easier life but iv managed to be sucked in to working full time (i just dont know how it happened). Anyway im thinking of selling the salon to get more time with the family, i want to be a mum again, i have to say my own clientelle of which im booked every day are awsome they are really great people and can you believe 50% of them are english amazing i thought. Anyway if anyone is interested let me know and of course if there are any great cutters out there please yell coz your hard to find.
cheers
Hi lisa, wonder if you could help me, i am hopefully moving to the sunshine coast next year, i currently run my own salon. I hope to find a managers job in Aus but I hve never done my level three, does that matter - will it hold me back?? By the time i get to the sunshine coast i will have a Wella Master Colour Award which is equivelent to a level 3 and 4. Also can you tell me what brand of hair extensions are popular over there. I am thinking of doing a hair extensions course. Also - have you had your business valued yet. Is it the business you will be selling or the actualy premesis as well. Hope you can help me

Love Emma x x x x
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:25 am
captain

captaingriff is an unknown quantity at this point

yes thats true but no disrespect to the aussies but their training is very different from ours and trying to find good honest quality staff is nothing other than a nightmare like trying to find a needle in a haystack. As for making money if i did the hours i do, for someone else, id be earning a fortune but i really do understand what you mean its just really hard work. i had a salon in uk for 10yrs and it was much easier. if i had my time again i would have waited and settled in first and felt my feet a bit more first but im relocating to spend more time with my kids thats why i came here not to work my butt off.
speak soon
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:36 am
captain

captaingriff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emmalina
Hi lisa, wonder if you could help me, i am hopefully moving to the sunshine coast next year, i currently run my own salon. I hope to find a managers job in Aus but I hve never done my level three, does that matter - will it hold me back?? By the time i get to the sunshine coast i will have a Wella Master Colour Award which is equivelent to a level 3 and 4. Also can you tell me what brand of hair extensions are popular over there. I am thinking of doing a hair extensions course. Also - have you had your business valued yet. Is it the business you will be selling or the actualy premesis as well. Hope you can help me

Love Emma x x x x

not selling business only salon as iv built my business up over the period of 2 and a half years so im taking business (clientelle)with me but selling salon so someone can go in and start their own business.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:13 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robos
hi jo

i am a hairdresser i have been a manageress of a very busy salon for 12 months now. i have been qualified for 17 years now. we are still waiting for our visa to be approved but hopefully we will be moving to gold coast (nerang or coomera not decided yet) in around july/august 2006. i will be wanting a job if you are still looking for someone

thanks

jan xx
Hi jan,

I wonder if you can help me. I am in the middle of completing the tra form, i am self employed. In section 5 Employment history,it ask you to list all relevant employment since leaving school, do i only mention the hairdressing employment, or all jobs i have done? Alsoit asks you to attach statements from employers stating all tools etc that you have used, do they mean scissors and hairdryer? What did you put?

Good luck with your move.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys im new to this but have been recommended by many.
I have been in oz a couple of years and love it,however iv owned my own salon since arriving as i was a hairdressing teacher in the uk. I vowed when i came here that we were going to have an easier life but iv managed to be sucked in to working full time (i just dont know how it happened). Anyway im thinking of selling the salon to get more time with the family, i want to be a mum again, i have to say my own clientelle of which im booked every day are awsome they are really great people and can you believe 50% of them are english amazing i thought. Anyway if anyone is interested let me know and of course if there are any great cutters out there please yell coz your hard to find.
cheers
Hi I am hoping to move to Brisbane early next year I am level 3 qualified and am also going through my introduction to teaching course right now. I am over 30 working in an Aveda Spa salon as a senior stylist/manager. Do you find that in oz just like in the uk its hard to get a job cause you are over 18, this is one of the worries I have about moving as people have tried to put me off by telling me I will find it hard to find work, even though I am also told oz is screaming out for hairdressers.?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmalina
Hi jan,

I wonder if you can help me. I am in the middle of completing the tra form, i am self employed. In section 5 Employment history,it ask you to list all relevant employment since leaving school, do i only mention the hairdressing employment, or all jobs i have done? Alsoit asks you to attach statements from employers stating all tools etc that you have used, do they mean scissors and hairdryer? What did you put?

Good luck with your move.
Hi sorry to but in but I have just had my TRA application approved and I had a period of self employment in it, you didnt say if you were going via an agent? be verry carefull the TRA form is not easy, I included pictures of clients before and after and explained EXACTLY how I had achieved the look and when I listed my tools I wrote out exactly what I used them for even down to foils and clips, if you want any more info just ask. Jeannie
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:38 pm
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice
Wink Re: hairdressing in australia

hi ya
hindsight is a wonderfull thing, to be honest its really hard work much harder than i thought it would be. I had a salon in england London in fact and i taught hair and makeup artisry so i know a fair bit about my trade but if i did it all again id have done things differently but mines involved about leases etc. but hey get out here take your time really look into where to be based and have a go! enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
hi ya

I have been a hairdresser for 14 years the last 3 self employed mobile and I am looking to arrive later this year,was initially looking at Perth but house prices a bit steep, are there plenty of opportunities in Brisbane/Sunshine Coast areas and any suggestions on decent areas for family of four to settle.Any help will be appreciated.

julie :scared:
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Medway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud of
Default Help - I Want to be an OZ hairdresser

Hi everyone

I have a dilema that i hope someone can help me with. I am at the very early stages of looking into the visa issues surrounding immigration to Perth. My family is migrating to Perth but because of my age, over 18, i cant be added to their visa. I believe my only option is to apply for myself on a student visa and try to work everything out so that i travel with my family when they leave for OZ. They wont leave without me! I intend to live with my family whilst doing the course and then apply for residence in my own rite etc - if that all makes sense.

Does anyone know of any hairdressing training centres/colleges etc in Perth -(huge huge places i know), that accept international students.

How much it costs?
How long the training must be for to satisfy immigration etc?
What are the academic entry requirements to enrol on a course?

If anyone has been through this situation or can help, or direct me to someone who can, please please please do.

x x x x
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help - I Want to be an OZ hairdresser

i want to help having gone thru the immigration process for permanent residence as a hairdresser. The first process is getting your trade assessed by trades recognition australia,they require 6 yrs of training and work experiance. I dont want to put a downa on everything, but perhaps you could do the hair course and get a salon to sponsor you on a recurring temporary visa until you have 6 yrs and then apply for p.r
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Medway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud ofMedway has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help - I Want to be an OZ hairdresser

Originally Posted by mandrew
i want to help having gone thru the immigration process for permanent residence as a hairdresser. The first process is getting your trade assessed by trades recognition australia,they require 6 yrs of training and work experiance. I dont want to put a downa on everything, but perhaps you could do the hair course and get a salon to sponsor you on a recurring temporary visa until you have 6 yrs and then apply for p.r
Thanks Mandrew

It sounds like you applied already having the qualification before you went to OZ. I think you may have misunderstood my quierie. I dont have a trade to be assessed by TRA. I was enquiring about applying for a student visa to get the hairdressing trade in OZ and what this entails. I was under the impression that immigration wave the ruling on the length of training required if you have an Australian Qualification and this was done for 2 years? God i hope its not 6 years!!!!!

can any one please clarify this and the questions from my other post

XXX
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi There,
We are moving at the end of this month to Brisbane, Wynnum hopefully and I am at present manager/senior stylist at an Aveda Spa salon I have been a hairdresser for over 15 years and will be looking to find employment pretty soon. I am 35 and married if you know of anyone looking for staff could you give me a shout.
Thanks Jean
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice

Going back to your earlier question, I arrived late last year at the grand old age of 45. I have been for 2 jobs and been offered them both. They love people with experience here and are not as ageist as in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

hinx will become famous soon enough

captaingriff
hi im hinx hairdresser in uk i was thinking if you can shed some light as you have been in queensland for sometime now im finding it hard to find hairdressing agencies or vacancy is there any other way i can look i sit on the internet looking and looking. but no results. so if you know of any salons that may sponsor me or vacancies you know please let me know...im looking for jobs in brisbane.
thankyou in advance
hinx
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:03 am
YES WE ARE NEW.....

dibbensteam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Moving to Aus with wife and kids end of march sooner if get job, should have Visa in Feb, looking to work in funky salon near coast in sydney loads of experience,sold my own salon in April 06, do lots of seminars and shows all over the world, got master colour award. contact [email protected] and ill send C.V. and picture.
Thanks
Johnny
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:10 pm
tedeschicat

tedeschicat is an unknown quantity at this point

You sound awesome andrew with 20yrs experience but your going to melbourne and im in queensland a bit far to commute he he, but if you do come to brisbane let me know. jo
Hi.. I have just returned to this site.. After a long await our agent has informed us that we should have confirmation on our visa's any thime now(Yeeppiiee)... We are hoping to come out to Australia (Brisbane) in June and I was wondering if there were any vacancies for Hairdressers out there?
Thanks all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.