Reload this Page >

hairdresser need help PLEASE

hairdresser need help PLEASE

Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

nikkirance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hairdresser need help PLEASE

:hiya everyone,
just wondering if anyone can give me a bit o advice or point me in the right direction,me my hubby n 3 kids are wanting to emigrat to oz but i am a hairdresser with 18 years experiance in ladies&gents nvq level 2.
But with all the changes we are having to go down the state or employer sponsor route, so if anyone can give me any info it would be amazing.
weve spoken to an agent but left with more questions than he answered, i no a few states will sponsor but you need money in the bank[no idea how much but im guessing more than a few £].
he seemed to think that because for the last year i have been doing rent a chair[self employment] that this might be a problem but i dont see how as i pay tax&ni . HELP PLEASE,,, im not ready to give up on our dream quite yet
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

lynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nice
Default Re: hairdresser need help PLEASE

Hi !

I hope I can help (a bit!?) I'm also a hairdresser in the process of being state sponsored into Australia.

Here goes......

I understand that NT & SA are offering sponsorship for hairdressers.

Au$25k is the 'money in the bank' requirement.

I was a self employed hairdresser too and didn't really encounter any probs. A good agent will be able to sort everything out for you! Mines did! You just need signed statements from clients (and possibly some photos of you in action + before & after shots etc!) Letters from suppliers, reps; that sort of thing!

Employer Sponsored is a toughie ....... unless you know someone with a business in Oz to do that for you? I'd think that most employers would want to meet you / see your work before employing you. I'm sure they have to agree to pay you 'x' amount of wages and adhere to many other rules, plus there's the cost of the visa itself .....etc.

Yeah - go for it! I hope this helped!

Kind Regards & Good Luck
Lynne

Last edited by lynnepin; Jan 17th 2011 at 7:31 am.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

u're a star lynnepin. thanx for advice,do you no if you have to show funds[in the bank via statement] as we wont be able to untill house sale etc?
so where u headed for? how long has it taken u?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

lynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nicelynnepin is just really nice

No Worries!

I'm hopefully heading to Adelaide. I've got family there (though not close enough to sponsor me!) so, it'll be nice to have support / contacts!

I started enquiring in 2007 - I was a newly qualified hairdresser, desperate to emigrate asap! I had spent a year in Oz ~ 2001/2002 on a WHM visa with family in Wollongong and loved it! (I have taken advantage of my far flung family!! Wollongong, Adelaide, Wellington!! )

At that time I was under the impression you only needed 1 year of experience as a hairdresser prior to applying. This was true; but only if you had an AQF3 (Aussie certificate) After that; avenue after avenue seemed to close on me; rules were altered, pathways taken away, lists shuffled and processing priorities changed!! It was one thing after another! The whole sorry saga sounds unbelievable from start to finish!! (I wont bore you with every detail!!) ANYHOOO...

My application to SA went at the end of last week so .... My agent said I should hear back in 4 - 8 weeks. After that I should be assigned a CO and then it'll be medicals / police checks etc. (I think ) I don't really have any expectations anymore tbh!! I think it's better that way!! Things will happen when they happen and not a minute before!!

I would imagine they'll want proof of funds ... but your 'assets' count ... So your house / car will all be in the sum! Again, a good migration agent will be able to help you with the exact detailing of that. They do cost a bit of money, but these guys know best - it's ultimately hassle / delay free. They'll make sure all your paperwork is 'as so' !

What about you? What are your thoughts / plans now then?

Lynne
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

yet again cheers for that.
we were looking at sunny brissy [lol] but due to whats happened &that were not on list were now looking at canberra or adilade as my work mate made the move to adilade 3 years ago &loved it but shes back after 18months coz her hubby couldnt settle but now he wants to go back[bloody men ]

sorry about spelling as having a wee glass o vino
ive about given up with all the changes but im a stubbern bitch so wheres there a will &pos a way ive got hope
ive spoken to a few agents to test the water looks promising , but my hubby is getting made redundent so were waiting to see when &what his settlement will be as this could speed things up on our end, i cant belive some of the trests ive to do ,ie english test [i mean i no im scottish but i have used the english language from 1yr old& then a get my trades recognised because a nvq isnt recognised in oz
but hay ho thats they way it is . keep in touch n let me no how you get on good luck &nice chatting
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Good on you ! Don't give up hope! (loving the glass of vino 'smiley' btw - I'll be using that one in the future! )

I just realised you're in Scotland. That's where I'm from (Port Glasgow) I used 'OE visas' as my migration agents, they're in Edinburgh. I've been really happy with them.

I just noticed that there was a member on here (on the thread just down from this one) Posted at the end of last year, 'Carl England' and he was looking to sponsor someone to his salon in Redcliffe, in Brisbane? He may be worth an enquiry?

Also; when I was at a migration fare at the Royal Highland Centre in Ingliston a few years ago I spoke to a migration agent there (who my friend subsequently ended up using) and he told me that 'Just Cuts' in Canbera were offering sponsorships. It was a few years ago, but, again - might be something worth looking into? They're a huge chain of hairdressers, all over Australia!

Finally; I also understand that Tasmania would be interested in skilled migrants, but they have to have a job offer. (You could try 'Just Cuts' there! ; )

Good Luck!
Lynne
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

lol oz is bound to be full o scots
ill give just cuts a wee email &have a wee look for carl england .
im from dunfermline but got friends from port glasgow small world
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Wow ! It sure is !

I just remembered there too - one of my good friends works as a teacher at Dunfermline High School!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:51 am
Just Joined

i emailed carl but cant get hold of just cuts as there email keeps bouncing back with server probs but il keep trying.
thats the school i went to how long ago did they teach there? what subject? what is there name?
the school is about 5 mins from my house !
like i said small world
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Aw! Good stuff (on the 'Carl' front) and ... Keep trying I guess, on the other!!

You could also check on www.mycareer.com.au or www.seek.com.au to see if they had any vacancies? (either with Just Cuts or with another chain / firm, who might be interested in sponsoring!) You could try contacting them through there!

My friend is a year younger than me, so, 31 and she just started teaching there last month; History & Modern Studies! She's enjoying it ... but she's going to move to Edinburgh as the commute is, well, murder! She was unfortunate enough to get stuck on the M8 for nearly 12 hours during that bad snow storm in Dec! That kinda sealed the deal for her!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sandersons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm not sure how far down the visa road you are since it was a couple of months ago you posted this but just wanted to recommend OE visas - we used them a few years back and they were fab!! We had an Aussie guy called Mark dealing with our visa - he was brilliant and helped us get our visa and dealt with my 101 questions everyday

I hope you manage to get a visa - you seem really determined!

Where are you in Dunfermline? We moved here after returning from Oz.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

hiya,sandersons thanx forr ur recomenation,we spoke to a guy at oe but he wasnt v nice [weve been told to ask for lawrence] were at stalemate in nvq scotvac trained &have only been doing over 20hrs self employed for a year[was doing it freelance cash in hand for a few years] so weve got to wait till july with fingers crossed that it gos in our favour.
we live in brucefield area of dunfermline.where r u &what made u come back from oz?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Sandersons is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like you've had a really hard, complicated road so far-I sincerely hope you get your dream! Do you know what area you'd like to go to? We are just off Townhill Road. We cane back as I couldn't get work for love nor money and our few life savings we had were dwindling. To be honest we both wish we'd stayed now as in hindsight we'd have made it work-it seemed to make sense to come back at the time though . Our visas are fast running out and it's more difficult second time round to decide whether to go or not!! Good luck-I hope July brings you the news you want!! Yvonne
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:53 am
Just Joined

ballyhane is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys was just wonderin can any1 help me on this one.. im thinking of goin to oz and wanted to know would i be able to train as an apprentice over there r would i have to do it threw college.. would also like to know can i work at the same time while training.. i am so confused wat visa do i apply or how do i even go about it???
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Hi Bally,

no chance of coming over and training here, unless you have a lot of money for a course (while paying international student fees) and then no real chance of a permanent visa at the end of it, so you will have to go home. Why dont you finish your studies in the UK and then come over to work on a Working Holiday Visa (for under 30's). If you then find someone willing to sponsor you, take it from there. The "hairdressers coming over to Aus" visa opportunities have all but dried up. I believe South Australia will still sponsor the odd fully qualified hairdresser with years of experience. Do finish your studies first and maybe by that time things have changed in your favour. And working at a good salon while you are studying is always a good career move. Good luck.