Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Hairdresser with 2 children (finance question)

Hairdresser with 2 children (finance question)

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

karen190572 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdresser with 2 children (finance question)

Hi there i am in the process of applying to go to Perth in Australia, my sister and her family have just recieved their permanent visa , i am a single mum of two girls one is 13 and the other is 6 . I have my own succesful business in the U.K and we have a good life with our own home , car etc, will i be able to live comfortably with my girls in Perth on a hairdressers salary ?? any help would be appreciated on costings of rentals etc
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:39 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hairdresser with 2 children (finance question)

Originally Posted by karen190572
Hi there i am in the process of applying to go to Perth in Australia, my sister and her family have just recieved their permanent visa , i am a single mum of two girls one is 13 and the other is 6 . I have my own succesful business in the U.K and we have a good life with our own home , car etc, will i be able to live comfortably with my girls in Perth on a hairdressers salary ?? any help would be appreciated on costings of rentals etc
Hi Karen.
We emigrated from Lancashire last Oct
I have been looking at salaries here in Perth & it ranges from approx $21 to $30 an hour, so depending on the hours you wanna work with having the kids its up to you. Rentals too can range from $300 to $500 a week depending on where you live. I live in Ellenbrook & we pay $350 a week for a 4x2
Are you looking to start your own business? Mobile hairdressers do very well over here. Cut, colour & blow dry can cost $200!
I've just managed to secure a part time position near where I live but just need to get my Authority to work before my registration date comes thru.. Not looking forward to that!!!! lol Goodluck x
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Annehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really nice

Hi there,

Each state has a different award pay for each industry. This set's out an out line of the minimum amount an employer can pay you. They can however pay you more than the award pay.

Here's the link for Western Australia

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/LabourRel...ssersAward.pdf

I hope this helps. Casual's get paid more than permanent employee's because they get more benifit's like holiday pay. But the link I gave you has all the information in there.

Good Luck

Anne
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:14 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Annehe28
Hi there,

Each state has a different award pay for each industry. This set's out an out line of the minimum amount an employer can pay you. They can however pay you more than the award pay.

Here's the link for Western Australia

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/LabourRel...ssersAward.pdf

I hope this helps. Casual's get paid more than permanent employee's because they get more benifit's like holiday pay. But the link I gave you has all the information in there.

Good Luck

Anne

Thanks Anne that is really useful x
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

karen190572 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks thats great to hear , to be honest i dont know what i want to do when get there , mobile or work for someone else, will see what fits with my girls , but at least the pay looks like it could be good , maybe mobile i could work less and earn good cash and then i can work around my girls.Rentals seem reasonable and i hear they are good sizes aswell?, I am also on the lookout for good schools , my eldest daughter plays county cricket here so would be looking for a sports related school. wuld be helpful if the girls school were close together . If anyone has any ideas i am open to suggestions
Thanks ever so much , really appreciate all your help x
Karen