Fabricator/welder in GC

Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fabricator/welder in GC

Originally Posted by Baby75
sorry jumping in we are gathering all our information for the TRA they are looking for certified true copies what is that. we have all the trade papers my husband is a welder/frabicator as well he has got references from places he worked in before is that enough what paper work do you need sorry about all the questions.

when my husband was over in Australia back in April he was told you can earn from 1000 oz dollars upwards a week all depends were you were working out side Brisbane nearer the 1000 mark but there is a lot of building in Brisbane so you can earn pretty good money there we have friends living over in the sunshine coast and they were checking it out for us put that back in to euros and its very good money epically when you compare the rate of living is lower in Australia to here
hi
if you are unsure about any TRA stuff you can check things out on their website. Certified copies are all documents asked for by TRA, photocopied, then taken to a solicitor who will stamp and sign the copies saying that they are ''certified copies'' of an original document..don't send any originals coz they will just post everything back to you to do again!! If you check the website you will see that it takes quite a bit of work to get all the info needed, especially, if like me you've got none of it due to house moves, divorces etc etc etc
cheers trev
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kporte
wages vary. should be looking at $25 p/h upwards -$50,000 a year with 9% super on top. lots of jobs- i have been offered everyone i applied for in bris- and most companies have lots of overtime and you should get $70,000+ a year without working weekends. apply for your artc when you arrive although no one has asked for mine yet!! get a good cv together and apply when you get here, internet , courier- mail etc. not worth trying to get sorted out from uk in this line of work as , at the moment the skill shortage is bad, jobs are easy to get. don't be surprised if you don't start on a great rate. if you are good ,your rate will be bumped up to keep you. if not move on. lots of work in this line in the gc too. don't put much faith in agencies. look for yourself. not saying don't use an agent, just not on it's own.
ultimately, with say 6-4.30 mon to fri and the odd sat morning you can expect to gross over $80,000, although not everyone wants to do extra hours.
conditions in most shops are very like uk.

good luck!
hi thanks alot for that..where do you live at, and how long there?
cheers again
trev
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

brisbobill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, just found this site, i am moving to Brisbane on the 5th August. At present I work for an Oil company in Aberdeen, Scotland as their welding foreman. I have been making arrangment for the past 2 years to move over, cant wait. I have read all the quotes, especially about the TRA, yip its strict, but that a good thing, keeps all the fly by night couldn't stick sh*t to a blanket dodgers out. Anyway the big ticket out there for me seems to be CERT 10, this allows you to become a supervisor and up, its easy to get if you are CSWIP. I could do with finding out a bit more general information about living in Brisbane.
Does anybody know of good areas around the southside of Brisbane that are good for welding work, but more importantly good to stay in.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by brisbobill
Hi All, just found this site, i am moving to Brisbane on the 5th August. At present I work for an Oil company in Aberdeen, Scotland as their welding foreman. I have been making arrangment for the past 2 years to move over, cant wait. I have read all the quotes, especially about the TRA, yip its strict, but that a good thing, keeps all the fly by night couldn't stick sh*t to a blanket dodgers out. Anyway the big ticket out there for me seems to be CERT 10, this allows you to become a supervisor and up, its easy to get if you are CSWIP. I could do with finding out a bit more general information about living in Brisbane.
Does anybody know of good areas around the southside of Brisbane that are good for welding work, but more importantly good to stay in.
Hey bill what oil company do you work for then in aberdeen,im also from this area well not aberdeen but outside it aberdeenshire,i am a pipefitter and also work for a oil contractor and others in the past,also hopeing to head to brisbane cause i have a girl there i want to be with.
Perth is the idea place for our kind of work,as worked there in 2004 for 3 months on a working holiday visa,i just came back from brisbane in march 19th with being there for 3 months and thats where i think i will head,have no idea best areas to go,but its nice there and hot most of the time.
been thinking about going to oz since 2000 and now in the process of doing my tra,just hope i can pass.
maybe we will be on the same job over there one day.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

brisbobill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brian.w
Hey bill what oil company do you work for then in aberdeen,im also from this area well not aberdeen but outside it aberdeenshire,i am a pipefitter and also work for a oil contractor and others in the past,also hopeing to head to brisbane cause i have a girl there i want to be with.
Perth is the idea place for our kind of work,as worked there in 2004 for 3 months on a working holiday visa,i just came back from brisbane in march 19th with being there for 3 months and thats where i think i will head,have no idea best areas to go,but its nice there and hot most of the time.
been thinking about going to oz since 2000 and now in the process of doing my tra,just hope i can pass.
maybe we will be on the same job over there one day.
Hi, Working for Weatherford UK. The TRA are OK as long as you have papers and history on paper.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucyharry
Thanks framac,
We kind of expected that he would have to do some kind of practical test, I think he'd rather do that than have to fanny around getting certified! Hubby has also been in the game for a while, and our way of thinking is if it can get us our ticket out of here it's all been worth it, it doesn't mean he will necessarily do it forever, but in the first instance he has something to bring a wage in, right? Personally I can't stand that it's what he does, he is always grubby and I think it's not exactly healthy as a profession! On the other hand he is self employed right now and is bringing in some cracking money, but Jesus, he's puttin the hours in!!! Henk hates to be pigeonholed and for all intents and puposes he is a welder, but if you asked he would say 'boilermaker', no question. So, let's hope he can slow down and evetually get into something that floats his boat! What are you up to at the moment?
Michelle, Henk......
Originally Posted by lucyharry
Hi,
My hubby passed the TRA as first class welder, we had to gather A LOT of evidence, especially since he is self eployed, but luckily the application sailed through(it was 2 weeks bloody hard work to get there though, but worth it!) Just had acknowledgment of visa 136, and now we wait. We haven't got much idea about the certificate (artc???) he MAY need when/if we arrive before he commences work, can anybody give specific's please?
Thanks,
Michelle, Henk and kids............
hi, the artc is done through the tra. you basically send off the same application you sent to the tra and get an australian recognised trade certificate(artc) this gives you an australian qualification.it can only be done when resident in oz .
framac is spot on about weld test etc. you are unlikely to need an artc but may feel more comfy having something on paper. it's more relevant for plumbers and sparkies who can't work without one
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

lots of areas in the south. carole park, rocklea, coopers plains, slacks creek all have welding work and close to corinda, sherwood and graceville , all great residential areas
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by trevamather
hi thanks alot for that..where do you live at, and how long there?
cheers again
trev
been here 2 months and renting in graceville. really good area but don't think we will be able to afford to buy here.
i think getting a good house in agood area presents the biggest challenge here.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:09 am
Just Joined

lucyharry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for clueing us up kporte!
Michelle Henk n family!!!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:08 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Fabricator/welder in GC

Hi, Working for Weatherford UK. The TRA are OK as long as you have papers and history on paper.
might sound stupid but is the TRA the work assessment you send off before you can apply for you Visa
what papers do you need beside your trade papers, and references from past employers. do you need your employer to write out a detailed list of what your duties were while you were working for them thanks
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:51 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
might sound stupid but is the TRA the work assessment you send off before you can apply for you Visa
what papers do you need beside your trade papers, and references from past employers. do you need your employer to write out a detailed list of what your duties were while you were working for them thanks
I think what a lot of people do including myself is write the reference yourself, email it to company, they then read it, print it out on headed paper then they sign and date it.

Hope this helps

kaye
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wardy2
I think what a lot of people do including myself is write the reference yourself, email it to company, they then read it, print it out on headed paper then they sign and date it.

Hope this helps

kaye
Yes thats what we did. You have to put down what his duties were and what tools and machery he used. How many hours worked a week and so on as detailed as poss. Its better to put too much info in than not enough and having them send it back.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac
Gold coast. A word of warning to fab/welders coming over. You are deemed a boilermaker so welders could be expected to read drawings and platers could be expected to do a weld test. Had to do two plates (vert and o/head) but being a welder, I finished them very quickly and guy was very impressed. Because I finished the plates very fast, he kept me welding all the time I was there. Was on $28 casual then $25 permanent. Started another job 1mth ago. $35 on the back shift and all o/t at double time but paid off when work got slow. Start another job in a couple of weeks as I'm not in a rush after getting a big tax rebate Welding with innershield wire which I'm not too happy about but I'll give it a go. Millions of work in Northern Qld.
hi framac

im a fabricator/welder and was wondering if you could give me a load more crack about the tests i would have to sit ie mig, tig or stick? length of weld for test, is test visual, dye-pen or xray? preps? etc etc etc..just sent my 136 off yesterday so got a bit of time to get clued up and practice, just all the places i've worked use dedicated welders for positional work

cheers
Trev
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevamather
hi framac

im a fabricator/welder and was wondering if you could give me a load more crack about the tests i would have to sit ie mig, tig or stick? length of weld for test, is test visual, dye-pen or xray? preps? etc etc etc..just sent my 136 off yesterday so got a bit of time to get clued up and practice, just all the places i've worked use dedicated welders for positional work

cheers
Trev
Trev, To a welder up here, its MIG and nothing else. Not everywhere tests you either. Places are so desperate for boilys they just start you and find out how good you are once you've started. Welders tend not to get paid as much as boilys and not everone advertises for welders. Told me plates would get sent away but it turned out it was a visual and if dye pen, then I never heard about it. Most of the work for the mines is 10% crack detection. ie pick 10% of job and test. Sometimes there is a UT test but hardly ever. I've got codings in MIG, stick and TIG and haven't showed them apart from photocopies on my CV. Frank
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Brisobill

I'm studying for my Cert 10 at the moment. As far as I know CSWIP does not help at all.

You have to be a coded welder with proven pressure vessel experience of 2 years. I'm doing my Cert 10 one night a week and the course lasts 18 months. You also need to pass the WTIA (welders institute) exams 4 papers then inspection or Standards paper.

Its the hardest course I've ever done.

PM me if you want more specific details.

Keel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.