Reload this Page >

English Solicitor requalifying in NSW

English Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

James_H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi there,

I've recently moved to Sydney and work at a law firm in the CBD area. I have been asked to requalify as a solicitor in NSW. I would be interested to hear from other UK lawyers who have gone through this process and would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance.

Many thanks,
James
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:54 am
Just Joined

emmauk007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi James,
I myself am not a lawyer but my husband is a South African Lawyer and also qualified in the UK.At present we are South Africa and wishing to move to OZ soon. For the academic aspect the University of New England based in armidale NSW offers online courses: WWW.UNE.EDU.AU. They also will arrange the exams to be taken in a different venue saving you travelling time as Armidale is 8 hours from Sydney.

For the PLT you can also take online courses with THE COLLEGE OF LAW. They only require 3 weeks on campus which is in July then the assessment is in July. Hope this helps and if you need any info then please feel free to e-mail me.

Just out of interest James what visa did you go over to OZ with? And what is the job markey like at present for overseas lawyers?

Kind regards

Emma : [email protected]
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Emma, that's helpful. I've been speaking to other resident lawyers/NSW law society and apparently the rules relating to exemptions are about to change to make it more difficult for overseas lawyers to re-qualify. In the past, it use to be 3 examinations - constitutional, equity & trusts and ethics. I think only constitutional was at all difficult with the other 2 supposedly easy. They now want to increase the number of exams that need to be done but I haven't got the full details on this. If your husband has over 5 years PQE he might qualify for further exemptions.

Regarding getting work here - the market is currently tight in most areas. Dispute resolution, employment and insolvency are still areas where firms are hiring, but corporate, banking and real estate are very flat. I used a South African based agency to look for work here. The firm was called Fuzion Group and is based in Cape Town - email address is http://www.fuziongroup.com/. My recruitment agent was Ben Hertzberg - and he had a good knowledge of the legal market here. They produce a guide to working in Australia as well:

http://www.fuziongroup.com/australia_brochure.pdf

Good luck.

J.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

drageamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: English Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the situation for UK lawyers is that you have to sit administrative, constitutional and property law to complete the academic side and then professional responsibility and trusts and accounts for the practical side? Then admission?

I am trying to ascertain if anyone has had any full academic exemptions - I am 5 years PQE?

Also if they have studied have they done the practical ones before the academic as I want to do them whilst waiting for summer 2010 semester to start if I have to do the academic ones meaning I can be admitted quicker?

Thanks
Kelly
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Hi there,

I have not had to re-qualify since moving out here as it turns out so haven't gone through the process. Has not been an issue for me but I do corporate so do not have to deal with Courts.

This link should contain all the information you need on the process and how to apply for exemptions as well as let you know who to contact (assuming you are looking at NSW rather than QLD or Melb):

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlin...b_overseasprac

All the best,

James