Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Do credentials transfer from USA to UK?

Do credentials transfer from USA to UK?

Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

KayBay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do credentials transfer from USA to UK?

I've just finished my 1500hr course in cosmetology in North Carolina, USA - still have to do the practical state board exam on December 4th. I'm thinking about moving back to the UK where I lived until 7 years ago. I've got a few questions.

1. Can I start work if I'm licensed in the USA or do I have to start studying all over again?

2. Is there something akin to the state board of cosmetology in the UK? I've tried searching the internet but haven't had much luck finding anything useful.

3. How does hairdressing work in the UK? In the states we could get paid hourly as an employee (normally of a chain), work commission or rent a booth in an independant salon.

4. Do you have required education classes you need to keep attending in order to keep working?

5. Do you have beauty supply stores that you can get professional discounts on?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

NicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do credentials transfer from USA to UK?

Hi Kay,
Did you ever get anywhere with your research on this? I am rethinking my whole life (much older than you though!). I would like to train as a hairdresser or something else I would enjoy, but I can't find out anything about transferring credentials either.
Best,
Nick
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you get an answer as i am wanting to find out exactly the same (my son is in US college in FL doing cosmetology and we are moving back to the UK )
I have emailed colleges and googled no end and can not find an answer..
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

NicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the rough

Hi there, I am so sorry. I never did get my answer. If I ever do, I will be sure to let you know.
best wishes,
Nick
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

KayBay is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been able to find out either. Sorry.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

wombats is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

It's a shame I didn't see this before, but I was in the EXACT same situation as you last year.

I finished Cosmetology in North Carolina and got my license. When I arrived in England, I had my college certificate and license evaluated by UK NARIC. Their evaluation showed the college certificate as equivalent to NVQ Level 3 - Level 2 being the minimum required to work as a stylist in England.

This was just my experience - I'm not sure what would happen if you did your Cosmetology training in a private school versus a community college.

I would add that it's proven to be extremely difficult for me to get a job as a hairdresser in England, but that's a whole different story, haha.

Regarding your other questions:

2. Is there something akin to the state board of cosmetology in the UK? I've tried searching the internet but haven't had much luck finding anything useful.

No. There is no 'state board' as such. Hairdressers are not licensed in the UK.

3. How does hairdressing work in the UK? In the states we could get paid hourly as an employee (normally of a chain), work commission or rent a booth in an independant salon.

It's essentially the same, but you can also do mobile hairdressing where you go to your client's home.

4. Do you have required education classes you need to keep attending in order to keep working?

No.

Yes. We have Sally amongst others.

Good luck!

Last edited by wombats; Jun 24th 2013 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombats
Hi,

It's a shame I didn't see this before, but I was in the EXACT same situation as you last year.

I finished Cosmetology in North Carolina and got my license. When I arrived in England, I had my college certificate and license evaluated by UK NARIC. Their evaluation showed the college certificate as equivalent to NVQ Level 3 - Level 2 being the minimum required to work as a stylist in England.

This was just my experience - I'm not sure what would happen if you did your Cosmetology training in a private school versus a community college.

I would add that it's proven to be extremely difficult for me to get a job as a hairdresser in England, but that's a whole different story, haha.

Regarding your other questions:

No. There is no 'state board' as such. Hairdressers are not licensed in the UK.

It's essentially the same, but you can also do mobile hairdressing where you go to your client's home.

No.

Yes. We have Sally amongst others.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply, so did you continue with your hairdressing career?
What would your options be? to do NVQ 1 and 2 in the UK so basically starting from scratch?

I was told that it is better to do an apprenticeship in the UK as they do not like "college taught students" (this was from someone who runs a hair academy in the UK).