Reload this Page >

Could Hairdressing get me out to Oz

Could Hairdressing get me out to Oz

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could Hairdressing get me out to Oz

Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help I qualified as a Hairdresser many years ago but never took it any further other than cutting families hair e.t.c. but since I m fast approaching 45 later this year- this prevents me from coming in on the skilled visa so if I gained experience what is the minimum amount I need. Some where on a site it said 20hrs per wk for 2 yrs??at least, working in a salon, but could self employment count if I was to not go in a salon and work for myself and how much experience is required?
Also obvious I wont make it happen until after 45yrs so could I still make the Dream reality in the future.

If any one could help as I really do not seem to find the answers I am looking for.
Thanks Scoobydo
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Ivoryhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could Hairdressing get me out to Oz

Hi Scoobydo,
did you have any sucsess in finding out about your work experiance? as i'm in the same sort of possition and been looking for any advice or answer. could you let me know how you got on.
thanks
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again,
No I still did not find out any answers to my above post. Any suggestions on where to look to find the answers.
It would be a great help.

Scoobydo
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

Hi Scooby,
I believe that because of your lack of "official" work since qualifying you would probably struggle to get you TRA (trade recognition authority) which you need before any application. I am not saying it would be impossible but I know you need proof of work such as references or if self employed statements from clients etc. Also your age would probably mean you would have to get a sponsor which is also not easy !! You need to be under 45 to apply as the main candidate otherwise. Again it is not impossible.

I'm sorry if this is bad news for you but I would suggest getting advise from an agent, we are only too aware of throwing away cash after cash for nothing.
I am also a hairdresser, was under 45 when first applied and have had nothing but bad luck due to a medical issue with one of my sons. I got my TRA no problem as have been working since college but as I say fell short on meds. We have still not totally given up....shortly will be 46 and so now also need a sponsor....have been trying so I know it's hard but then again we bring difficult circumstances too !!!
Best of luck but PLEASE get good advise before you spend thousands as we have done !!
Take care
Claire
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Thanks so much! for your reply- I will look into further. Just looked on the skilled list and wondered if anyone knew if AQF Certificate III-Australia qualification is the equivalent to a Hairdressing N.V.Q. level 3 (UK)

Having 15 yrs of retail managment level-(Not hairdressing )would it worth doing a level 3 N.V.Q.here in the u.k and then getting my experiance that way? Any suggestions out there? Would be most helpful.

Thanks Scooby