Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Working abroad? General Advice needed.

Working abroad? General Advice needed.

Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:42 pm
MKC
Just Joined

MKC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working abroad? General Advice needed.

Hi everyone,

I'm at a crossroads in life and I think I need to sit down and seriously think if I should remain in the UK. Basically 29, own semi-successful part time business (got bored of mundane 9-5 so decided to set it up) I set up 7 months a go and although it's fun to do, I don't see it long term, not only that graduated in 2010, been working in technical administration since, but it's a small team with no long term prospects.

I have been for quite a few interviews in the UK, and either the jobs haven't been for me or they have gone no where neither. I have quite a large group of friends and some seem to be deciding on settling down, getting mortgages, good jobs etc and seem happy - whereby the other lot seem to selling up and moving away or planning too.

And then there is me, stuck in limbo, I feel I have a lot to offer, everyone compliments me on my CV, says I did wonders with the business and my career but yet it's not enough, I feel I can do, and will do so much more.

I don't have any ties, no kids, no real "bills" to speak off and I am quite good with money.

I guess my question what makes people to decide to pack up and move away abroad? where do I even start looking? how?

Job choice I think I would be great in consultancy, technical skills or even something with a level entrepreneurship to it?

Advice appreciated

MKC
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working abroad? General Advice needed.

Originally Posted by MKC
Hi everyone,

I'm at a crossroads in life and I think I need to sit down and seriously think if I should remain in the UK. Basically 29, own semi-successful part time business (got bored of mundane 9-5 so decided to set it up) I set up 7 months a go and although it's fun to do, I don't see it long term, not only that graduated in 2010, been working in technical administration since, but it's a small team with no long term prospects.

I have been for quite a few interviews in the UK, and either the jobs haven't been for me or they have gone no where neither. I have quite a large group of friends and some seem to be deciding on settling down, getting mortgages, good jobs etc and seem happy - whereby the other lot seem to selling up and moving away or planning too.

And then there is me, stuck in limbo, I feel I have a lot to offer, everyone compliments me on my CV, says I did wonders with the business and my career but yet it's not enough, I feel I can do, and will do so much more.

I don't have any ties, no kids, no real "bills" to speak off and I am quite good with money.

I guess my question what makes people to decide to pack up and move away abroad? where do I even start looking? how?

Job choice I think I would be great in consultancy, technical skills or even something with a level entrepreneurship to it?

Advice appreciated

MKC
Most countries will require you to have a visa before you can work there, so really you need to look at the individual countries in which you would like to live, and see what the visa requirements are, and whether you would be eligible.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:31 pm
MKC
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most countries will require you to have a visa before you can work there, so really you need to look at the individual countries in which you would like to live, and see what the visa requirements are, and whether you would be eligible.
I'm aware, I have been researching various options, talking with friends and contacts to see what is out there.

I want to try and nail it down to 5 countries, then 5 sectors of interest and go from there. Do you have any advice for a first time noob looking into all of this? I have started making lists, researching blogs, signed up to a few forums is there anything I can do to help me on my way?

Thank you for taking the time out to reply.

MKC
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MKC
I'm aware, I have been researching various options, talking with friends and contacts to see what is out there.

I want to try and nail it down to 5 countries, then 5 sectors of interest and go from there. Do you have any advice for a first time noob looking into all of this? I have started making lists, researching blogs, signed up to a few forums is there anything I can do to help me on my way?

Thank you for taking the time out to reply.

MKC
Hi MKC - you seem to be looking for something that you think is missing and moving to another country may not change that - and infact could make it worse.

If you feel that you can do better, try and narrow down what it is that you could be doing. I'm in Australia, because I wanted to and could. A lot of people are here (or whichever country they are in) because that is where they wanted to go - not because something was missing. A lot more have relocated to be with spouses or other family, or work.

Figure out what it is that makes you happy. If it's not your job - do you need to find a position to progress in the same field - or do you need a change of direction. What outside of work do you enjoy spending time on - family, friends, sport,etc

I'm not sure if any of this is making sense but you need to be sure that emigrating is the best solution as it's an expensive and lengthy process to do. Good luck
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:19 am
MKC
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi MKC - you seem to be looking for something that you think is missing and moving to another country may not change that - and infact could make it worse.

If you feel that you can do better, try and narrow down what it is that you could be doing. I'm in Australia, because I wanted to and could. A lot of people are here (or whichever country they are in) because that is where they wanted to go - not because something was missing. A lot more have relocated to be with spouses or other family, or work.

Figure out what it is that makes you happy. If it's not your job - do you need to find a position to progress in the same field - or do you need a change of direction. What outside of work do you enjoy spending time on - family, friends, sport,etc

I'm not sure if any of this is making sense but you need to be sure that emigrating is the best solution as it's an expensive and lengthy process to do. Good luck
Again, thank you for taking the time out to reply. I can whole heartily understand your cause for concern, I very much keep my feet on the ground too and the decisions I am currently making not only effect me, but those around me, family, close friends etc and trust me I am not rushing anything.

Truth be told I am giving myself a year, to decide on all of this and I am not taking it lightly, but yes I do feel something is missing, I do feel I can do a lot more and to be fair nothing is keeping me in the UK anymore, I wont lie it will not be easy leaving loved ones, but at the same time I can't live my life for them - I need to do something with my life, and in a small town or big city (been for quite a few interviews in London) I just don't feel there is anything left in the UK for me.

So why not start looking abroad? opening doors to other places? nothing to loose as I don't hate my current life but at the same time I constantly feel the UK is not enough of a challenge.

I'm independent, have been all my life and the aspect of leaving doesn't even scare me, it just feels right.

Last edited by MKC; Jun 27th 2013 at 9:27 am.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MKC
Again, thank you for taking the time out to reply. I can whole heartily understand your cause for concern, I very much keep my feet on the ground too and the decisions I am currently making not only effect me, but those around me, family, close friends etc and trust me I am not rushing anything.

Truth be told I am giving myself a year, to decide on all of this and I am not taking it lightly, but yes I do feel something is missing, I do feel I can do a lot more and to be fair nothing is keeping me in the UK anymore, I wont lie it will not be easy leaving loved ones, but at the same time I can't live my life for them - I need to do something with my life, and in a small town or big city (been for quite a few interviews in London) I just don't feel there is anything left in the UK for me.

So why not start looking abroad? opening doors to other places? nothing to loose as I don't hate my current life but at the same time I constantly feel the UK is not enough of a challenge.

I'm independent, have been all my life and the aspect of leaving doesn't even scare me, it just feels right.
Well I hope it works for you

If you figure out what areas interest you, check out the different forums for visa advice. Some countries you could access easier than others so have a good scout around and good luck
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:30 am
MKC
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Well I hope it works for you

If you figure out what areas interest you, check out the different forums for visa advice. Some countries you could access easier than others so have a good scout around and good luck
I shall, as I said my plan for now is decide on 5 countries, then 5 sectors and go from there, breaking down to less and more as needs be.

I have a lot of international and EU contacts as well so I am asking around as I believe being able to network and being not afraid to ask for help is key in all of this.

If anyone else has ideas, I am but an open book.

Thank you

Last edited by MKC; Jun 27th 2013 at 9:32 am.