Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Chef/Cook with no qualifications - Ok for Canada?

Chef/Cook with no qualifications - Ok for Canada?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

mattandjools is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chef/Cook with no qualifications - Ok for Canada?

Hi Guys

I'm a chef working in Melbourne (as a "Cook") and I'm thinking about heading off to Vancouver or wherever will take me.

I've just done the test on the canadian government website which indicates I would be eligible for PR but my diploma is not in anything culinary (I was a desk jockey who saw the light and decided it was time to do some hard work )

I've trained my arse off in hands-on roles and worked my way up quickly, I have fantastic references at my disposal and I like to think a trial shift pretty much anywhere would get me a job. Not to blow my own trumpet, but there's good chefs and bad chefs and I know which camp I fall into.

I'm wondering whether any of you guys out there know of anyone who's been through this situation. Should I just go for PR and see what happens or head over there, see if I can get a couple of trials and see if I can get my foot in the door first before applying for a permanent thing?

Cheers guys, any advice greatly appreciated.

Manc Matty.

Last edited by mattandjools; Mar 15th 2010 at 9:30 am. Reason: mis-spelling (is mis-spelt hyphenated?)
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice
Default Re: Chef/Cook with no qualifications - Ok for Canada?

How old are you mate, can you do the Bunac route (not sure if that is applicable from OZ)? I would go that way, just to see what you think of Canada more than anything else.
Once you are in Canada, you could go ahead and write your red seal.
I'm going the PR route, but my wife is Canadian...so can't really help you there I am afraid.

Don't know why you would want to leave Melbourne, I grew up there...and then had to move. My brother and sister have moved back, and my parents are trying to flee the States ASAP to move back now.

Last edited by quietgiroth; Aug 24th 2010 at 2:37 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:51 am
Just Joined

cookross75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chef/Cook with no qualifications - Ok for Canada?

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
How old are you mate, can you do the Bunac route (not sure if that is applicable from OZ)? I would go that way, just to see what you think of Canada more than anything else.
Once you are in Canada, you could go ahead and write your red seal.
I'm going the PR route, but my wife is Canadian...so can't really help you there I am afraid.

Don't know why you would want to leave Melbourne, I grew up there...and then had to move. My brother and sister have moved back, and my parents are trying to flee the States ASAP to move back now.
hi,
thanks for the very usefull stuff.
Good to know it's taken very seriously. I had asked a few people and although they said it was good to have I never got the impression it was that highly regarded - nice to find out otherwise.