Canadian Lawyers

Old May 27th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4
Linden16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Lawyers

I'm a Canadian student currently looking at several career possibilities once I finish my undergraduate degree, and law was an option I have much interest in. The catch is that I've had this desire for an extremely long time to move to England and haven't been able to find much information about the process.

Is it better to pursue a Canadian law degree at my current university, UBC, or to finish my Bachelor of Arts degree and pursue legal education in England? Are there significant differences between the two forms of legal education? If I attain a Canadian law degree, what kind of process should I expect to be able to practice freely in England? Would the kind of degree make any difference; say if I arrived in London with a doctorate or a masters instead of purely a bachelors? How long does legal education take in England?

Also, if anyone could offer advice as to what the profession is actually like in practice so I can have a better idea if I truly want to pursue it would help. Expected salaries as well, if possible!

Anyone with experience in any of this, your help would be much appreciated.
Linden16 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:54 am
Forum Regular
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54
Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Canadian Lawyers

The English system is different from the Canadian one. First you do not have to do an undergrad degree in order to do your LLB at University in England.

However, after you finish your 3 year LLB at University in England you have to go to Law School for one year. You can either do the Legal Practice Course if you want to be a Solicitor or the Bar Vocational Course if you want to be a Barrister. Law School is a lot more practical than the LLB and teaches you the skills you will need to practice such as Advocacy, Drafting and Procedure.

After that you will need to obtain a 2 year training contract with a Solicitors firm, where you will be a trainee solicitor or a 1 year pupillage in a Barristers Chambers where you will be a trainee Barrister. After that you will be qualified to practice as a solicitor or barrister. The profession in England is split, you can not be both like you can in Canada.

I have just finished the BVC at The College of Law in London. I am currently in Canada, my wife has been working here for the past 2 years, but we are moving back to the UK to work in England.

Having seen both legal systems I believe the English system is far better with a lot less red tape. There is one law for the whole of England and Wales, as opposed to many different laws in different provinces in Canada. The English system has a great history and traditions and I think you will really enjoy your time at University and Law School.

All the best
Javarne is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.