British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Working Abroad by Profession (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/)
-   -   Building Surveyor in OZ any Info!!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/building-surveyor-oz-any-info-533286/)

KJM Oct 12th 2008 5:48 pm

Re: Building Surveyor in OZ any Info!!!!!!!!!

Building Control here is administered by the Local Authority and the type of work you describe is undertaken by Local Authority employed Building Control Officers, they are not necessarily qualified surveyors.

Hi

Are you talking about the UK? :)

innojuk Oct 13th 2008 7:28 am

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 6868061)
Building Control here is administered by the Local Authority and the type of work you describe is undertaken by Local Authority employed Building Control Officers, they are not necessarily qualified surveyors.

Hi

Are you talking about the UK? :)

Yes I am talking about the UK in the above quote

KJM Oct 13th 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by innojuk (Post 6869270)
Yes I am talking about the UK in the above quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply and I do wish you good luck with your future.

As regards to your quote you are very much mistaken on a couple of points.

Building Control service is currently provided by the local authority and the private sector.

Furthermore Building Control Surveyors do have an qualification in order for them to undertake the duties of a competent Surveyor. It takes a competent Surveyor to walk onto site and talk through the construction of a building or buildings with no plans. I personally had to discuss a project with 400 dwellings brick/block and timber frame construction in order for the contractor to show compliance. The contractor in his wisdom decided to submit the project on a Building Notice application, which doesn't require the applicant/agent to submit plans.

My background is BSc Hons Building Surveying and MSc Building Control as well as RICS, CIOB & ABE. Previous experience included general practice surveying, housing and facility management.

So Building Control Surveyors are more qualified than you think and some are quiet devised as well. :)

innojuk Oct 14th 2008 7:47 am

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 6869608)
Hi

Thanks for the reply and I do wish you good luck with your future.

As regards to your quote you are very much mistaken on a couple of points.

Building Control service is currently provided by the local authority and the private sector.

Furthermore Building Control Surveyors do have an qualification in order for them to undertake the duties of a competent Surveyor. It takes a competent Surveyor to walk onto site and talk through the construction of a building or buildings with no plans. I personally had to discuss a project with 400 dwellings brick/block and timber frame construction in order for the contractor to show compliance. The contractor in his wisdom decided to submit the project on a Building Notice application, which doesn't require the applicant/agent to submit plans.

My background is BSc Hons Building Surveying and MSc Building Control as well as RICS, CIOB & ABE. Previous experience included general practice surveying, housing and facility management.

So Building Control Surveyors are more qualified than you think and some are quiet devised as well. :)

Actually I deal with them on a daily basis and my ex father in law is one. He has no qualifications what so ever to be a Building Control officer other than 35 years in a trade background. He is not, never has been and never will be a Surveyor. He is one of many that I know with no formal qualifications. Ergo my comment that 'some of them' have no formal qualifications.

The fact that the Govt changed the rules a few years ago to allow the private sector to operate in this field makes no difference what so ever, I deal with them as well and quite a few have no formal qualifications.

I would far rather deal with someone who has site experience and no formal qualifications than the vast majority of the 'know nowt' straight out of Uni numpties that I have to deal with. They aren't fit to lace most site foremans shoes and if it's 'not in the book' they are stuck

KJM Oct 14th 2008 10:49 am

Originally Posted by innojuk (Post 6872688)
Actually I deal with them on a daily basis and my ex father in law is one. He has no qualifications what so ever to be a Building Control officer other than 35 years in a trade background. He is not, never has been and never will be a Surveyor. He is one of many that I know with no formal qualifications. Ergo my comment that 'some of them' have no formal qualifications.

The fact that the Govt changed the rules a few years ago to allow the private sector to operate in this field makes no difference what so ever, I deal with them as well and quite a few have no formal qualifications.

I would far rather deal with someone who has site experience and no formal qualifications than the vast majority of the 'know nowt' straight out of Uni numpties that I have to deal with. They aren't fit to lace most site foremans shoes and if it's 'not in the book' they are stuck

Ha ha you made me laugh.

I guess I one of them university lot but I have managed to gain the respect of the RICS, CIOB and ABE through knowledge and competence. A Surveyor who has no complaints to date and can speak in layman terms to builders etc and get completed projects.

I afraid I have witnessed trade background Building Control Surveyors, who have been on the tools and haven't got a clue on how to comply with the Building Regulations they are a liability in some cases. That is not a dig at your ex father law or all trade background individuals.

I am currently witnessing a BCS who has been doing Building Control work for over 20 years making up the regulations as he goes along in order to show his authority. (Its a power thing and lack of knowledge)

Yes i agreed that there is alot of students that come out of university not knowing anything but that is the same for Building Surveyors as well Building Control Surveyors. Still to this day I am gobsmacked at the some of the rubbish that sits before me on professional interviews to become Chartered Status Surveyors but on the other hand there is some excellent individuals who I wouldn't hesitate to employ.

:)