Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

A bit of Euro-CV help for an American

A bit of Euro-CV help for an American

Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Technically, Dallas. But good luck finding me there.
jizlobber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A bit of Euro-CV help for an American

Hi all. I have an interview with a guy from Germany tomorrow and I'm polishing up my CV. Well, actually, I'm writing it. I don't have much experience with CVs, only the US-stlye resume.

One part in the "Education" section of the of the template I have asks for

quote: Level in national or international classification

I have no idea what to put there. I have my B.S. in Computer Science and I am currently going to school for my MBA. What are the correct terms for these degrees in an international setting? Or will these terms be recognized by anyone?

Also, is it true that personal hobbies should be included on the CV?

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A bit of Euro-CV help for an American

Originally Posted by jizlobber
Hi all. I have an interview with a guy from Germany tomorrow and I'm polishing up my CV. Well, actually, I'm writing it. I don't have much experience with CVs, only the US-stlye resume.

One part in the "Education" section of the of the template I have asks for

quote: Level in national or international classification

I have no idea what to put there. I have my B.S. in Computer Science and I am currently going to school for my MBA. What are the correct terms for these degrees in an international setting? Or will these terms be recognized by anyone?

Also, is it true that personal hobbies should be included on the CV?

Thanks
I'm sure Germans know what a BS and an MBA are. Also state the name of the institutions where you got them, dates attended and date of award of degrees.

Yes, it is normal to include a BRIEF statement about personal interests and hobbies.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

samesame is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A bit of Euro-CV help for an American

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm sure Germans know what a BS and an MBA are. Also state the name of the institutions where you got them, dates attended and date of award of degrees.

Yes, it is normal to include a BRIEF statement about personal interests and hobbies.
It's probably way too late, thus I'll keep it short. HR people in Germany can be fairly old they probably figure the MBA but I wouldn't assume that they know what a BS is (my guess Bacelor of Science?): Germany has an entirely different Uni system, they are just starting to change it to Bacehlor and Masters. They like to know your date of birth and see a pic too.
Listing of key achievements is not necessary and it's not really common to call the ex-boss (unless the new and the ex are buddies of some sort)
hope that helped, maybe for future viewers of this thread anyway....