Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Automotive Technician wages

Automotive Technician wages

Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Richyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really nice
Default Automotive Technician wages

Hi everyone, i'm new to British expat and just wanted to ask a few questions on work in Ontario as a auto technician in and around the gta.
Firstly a bit of info on me, i'm a 26 year old UK trained technician who recently left my job at a Citroen dealer in the uk to make a move out here to Toronto to see if i could make it work out here as a technician.
I understand that most dealers out here have a flat rate pay system whereby you only get paid for the hours sold on each job you do regardless of how long it may take you to do that job. Because of this i have a few questions on what its like working under this pay structure.

1) What are the book times generally like for jobs? (especially electrical diagnosis)
2) Do other technicians lend you a hand when lifting out gearboxes, pushing cars in and out, checking feeds at connectors etc? Or as a result of the pay structure do they tend to shy away from helping others.
3) Is there a lot of warranty work and are the book times realistic?
4) What is the flow of work like, slow or busy?
5) Can you realistically earn a good living on working as a tech out here? I was earning between £33k - £35k per year including bonus back home, is that kind of wage attainable out here as a tech?
6) What manufacturers are the best to work for?

I would really appreciate anyones answers to my questions, especially any UK techs who are doing the job out here, i am taking the red seal exam for the tech licence soon aswell and any advice on this would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance