Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Any fabricators/welders already in Oz?

Any fabricators/welders already in Oz?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

welshie2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any fabricators/welders already in Oz?

Me and hubby are doing TRA at the moment and are just trying to decide on where in Oz to actually move to.

If you're a welder, where in Oz do you live and is the heat bearable to work in?

Ta
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Question Re: Any fabricators/welders already in Oz?

Hi Welshie2000,

Me and the hubby will also be interested to know the responses you get, hubby is also a welder and is DESPARATE to know what the heat will be like, we are looking to move to Gold Coast.

Donna.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any fabricators/welders already in Oz?

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Hi Welshie2000,

Me and the hubby will also be interested to know the responses you get, hubby is also a welder and is DESPARATE to know what the heat will be like, we are looking to move to Gold Coast.

Donna.
My OH is a welder/fabricator too! we've been doing some research (not in Oz yet, just passed TRA and waiting to lodge Visa App) we think GC will be far too warm for welding so we're looking at Perth. According to some weather websites it does get quite warm in Perth but not as extreme and humid as Brisbane.
But would be very interested to hear from others.
Louise&Mark
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

See, wve heard that melbourne and adelaide are quite cool but there's not so much welding work there. I was starting to like the sound of Perth but got told that the heat is unbearable over there!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

How did you get on with the TRAs?? My hubby has had so many jobs its becoming such a headache getting all the letters done.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

MRG175 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshie2000
How did you get on with the TRAs?? My hubby has had so many jobs its becoming such a headache getting all the letters done.
TRA was a nightmare, due to also having had many employers I started TRA Feb 07 never got app away till end of July, Passed first time so ok in the end
In the S/metal and Fab Industry my self and moving to Adelaide, alot of MOD ship yard work there or planned to be so quite a lot of work.

Lee
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

cyrused is an unknown quantity at this point

HI there
My other half is a welder and he works in Yatala and we live on the Northern Gold Coast, there is quite a lot of work around here and so far he has not struggled with the heat so things are going well, the wages are really quiet good here too compared to the cost of living, if you need any more help pm me and i will try to help as best i can
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

I'm not a welder but I am an engineer and get out and about round plenty of engineering workshops. There is generally a shortage of welder fabricators around Brisbane and our company and a few of my customers are always on the lookout.
Alot of the good welders end up in the mines or contracting. We have a facility in Gladstone where we employer 70-80 welders. we struggle to keep them as there are always big companies taking on ie. Orica, Comalco, or QAL.
Where i am on the sunshine coast there isnt as many oppurtunities about but Brisbane Nothside is only 45 mins away and there are normally plenty of oppurtunities there. I would sugesat registering with a few agencies and I think you will get something lined up pretty quickly.
Good Luck all
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:17 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

what sort of pay is it if you don't want to work in the mines.

Thanks DD
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

Just thought I would jump on this thread as I am a welder. I've been over here since June. We were living up at Mango Hill but most of the best paid welding work is south of the river. I've only done a bit of welding work due the distance of where all the work is but we have moved to Wakerley now so will start looking soon for the better paid jobs. Wherever you are in Oz, the heat will always be a problem for welders! The humidity can be a problem but I'm slowly getting used to it. You only need to wear work pants and shirt so leave those overalls at home. There is plenty of work in Brisbane for welders and I believe Perth is also crying out for them.
Hope this helps you out. If you need any more info just drop us a line.
Gaz
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:11 am
Just Joined

pepsiuk will become famous soon enough

Hi there
We are in the middle of our TRA at the mo,hubby is a fabricator, we are looking at the GC too. He has also had alot of jobs plus the company he did apprenticeship with has closed down, so alot of work for us, but we'll get there in the end lol
Andrea
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshie2000
See, wve heard that melbourne and adelaide are quite cool but there's not so much welding work there. I was starting to like the sound of Perth but got told that the heat is unbearable over there!
Theres plenty of welding work in and around Melbourne and at good money too
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cyrused
HI there
My other half is a welder and he works in Yatala and we live on the Northern Gold Coast, there is quite a lot of work around here and so far he has not struggled with the heat so things are going well, the wages are really quiet good here too compared to the cost of living, if you need any more help pm me and i will try to help as best i can
Hi cyrused,
Im a fabricator welder, got our visas and looking to move to either Northern GC or Bayside areas as soon as the house sells!! Was just wondering what sort of wages I could expect around that area.
Cheers
Trev
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by trevamather
Hi cyrused,
Im a fabricator welder, got our visas and looking to move to either Northern GC or Bayside areas as soon as the house sells!! Was just wondering what sort of wages I could expect around that area.
Cheers
Trev
Helloooooo..anyone else got any advice?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevamather
Helloooooo..anyone else got any advice?
No advice to you bonny lad but for everyone.

95% of OZ is hotter than the UK but if your welding a job and the pre heat is allready 250c it makes no difference. You just get used to it.

I've been over here 4.5 years (from sunny Northumberland) and the heat has always been bearable.

Last year I was working in Exmouth (10 hours North of Perth), It was about 44c and I was welding inside of a SS pressure vessel. Very uncomfortable (I'd never even sat on a beach in that heat) but you just have to take more breaks and drink plenty water.

Hope this helps.

Keel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.