Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:41 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 97
garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Hi,

I guess a post of this type has already been posted, so sorry if I repeat someone else's post.

In brief, my wife has 25 years of work experience, working as a hairdresser.

She was initially trained for 6 years by her uncle, who is also a hairdresser.

And for the past 19 years she has worked in partnership with her uncle in the same business.

However, she doesnt have any formal qualifications.

How would she go about getting work in Oz?

Would she need to do a course, and if so, which one(s)?

And does every state have a registration/licensing requirement?

Of course, no doubt there are a few immigrant hairdressers working in Oz, who don't have any formal qualifications, but my wife would prefer to do everything in the legal way.

Any advice for my wife would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary
garyjames is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:28 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mr Anderson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 478
Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

hi mate

you dont need formal qualifications if you have experience in occupation

you just need to do a statutuory declararation and get i signed in front of a jp or solicitor etc(notary stating the facts as this a legal document

You could even get one from the uncle and references etc

If confused then speak to a professional agent. i had none as there was a balls up with the college so i cant even prove i atteneded but i did a stat dec with everything i learned in my first and second year at college and in depth with all the techniques id learnt ettc to make it apparent i knew what i was on about

and in vic or nsw you dont need to do a test to work

in vic you dont need to do a test to open a business too

al
Mr Anderson is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:05 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 97
garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Thanks Mr Anderson for your advice.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary
garyjames is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:12 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
scot_pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

My wife is in the exact same position if anyone else could shed some light on this would be very much appreciated.
thank you
scot_pete is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:40 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mr Anderson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 478
Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by scot_pete View Post
My wife is in the exact same position if anyone else could shed some light on this would be very much appreciated.
thank you

hi

what i answered above hopefully answers what you need. If it doesnt then please ask me a specific question and ill try to answer

al
Mr Anderson is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:27 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane Queensland
Posts: 168
Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by garyjames View Post
Hi,

I guess a post of this type has already been posted, so sorry if I repeat someone else's post.

In brief, my wife has 25 years of work experience, working as a hairdresser.

She was initially trained for 6 years by her uncle, who is also a hairdresser.

And for the past 19 years she has worked in partnership with her uncle in the same business.

However, she doesnt have any formal qualifications.

How would she go about getting work in Oz?

Would she need to do a course, and if so, which one(s)?

And does every state have a registration/licensing requirement?

Of course, no doubt there are a few immigrant hairdressers working in Oz, who don't have any formal qualifications, but my wife would prefer to do everything in the legal way.

Any advice for my wife would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Hi Gary
I am a hairdresser going through the emigration process.
i have 16 years experience 14 of which i have oqned 2 salons and six as a tutor at a private college which i am now head of department.
When are you wanting to emigrate? there are a number of training options that your wife might be eligable for to get that importamt piece of paper before you go. due to her number of years exp she could fly through any qualification contact me if you want more info and i can certainly point you in the right direction or maybe even offer training at my college depending on your location?
hope to hear back forom you
Carl
Carl England is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:10 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 97
garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the message.

Somebody else told me last week that there are people in the UK who have a lot of clout in the hairdressing training profession. It sounds like you could very well be one of those people.

My wife and I are based in St Helens (which is about 20 miles West of Manchester).

Please feel free to PM me. Your post is of much interest.

My ID is: garyjames

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Gary
garyjames is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:41 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane Queensland
Posts: 168
Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by garyjames View Post
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the message.

Somebody else told me last week that there are people in the UK who have a lot of clout in the hairdressing training profession. It sounds like you could very well be one of those people.

My wife and I are based in St Helens (which is about 20 miles West of Manchester).

Please feel free to PM me. Your post is of much interest.

My ID is: garyjames

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Hi Gary i have sent you a reply but new to this so not sure if you got it
if not post a massage and i will contact you
Regards
Carl
(head of hairdressing)
Carl England is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:32 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 72
ausdreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
hi mate

you dont need formal qualifications if you have experience in occupation

you just need to do a statutuory declararation and get i signed in front of a jp or solicitor etc(notary stating the facts as this a legal document

You could even get one from the uncle and references etc

If confused then speak to a professional agent. i had none as there was a balls up with the college so i cant even prove i atteneded but i did a stat dec with everything i learned in my first and second year at college and in depth with all the techniques id learnt ettc to make it apparent i knew what i was on about

and in vic or nsw you dont need to do a test to work

in vic you dont need to do a test to open a business too

al
hi hope you don't mind me asking you for advice but i'm just about to finish my nvq 2 in hairdressing whats my chances of coming over to oz with my family and getting a job. i've no work experience in this job and i'm 32.
ausdreamer is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:12 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane Queensland
Posts: 168
Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by ausdreamer View Post
hi hope you don't mind me asking you for advice but i'm just about to finish my nvq 2 in hairdressing whats my chances of coming over to oz with my family and getting a job. i've no work experience in this job and i'm 32.
i know this depends on what type of visa you are going on and were in oz you want to be.
If you wanted to get a visa through your new trade i dont think you have enough experience but i would advise you to check it out with an agent.
When are you wanting to go to Oz and have you thought about completing your level three, that will give you more clout with your application.
Please feel free to get back in copntact with me
Regards
Carl
Carl England is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:51 pm
  #11  
burleigh chick
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 113
holly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really niceholly30 is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
hi mate

you dont need formal qualifications if you have experience in occupation

you just need to do a statutuory declararation and get i signed in front of a jp or solicitor etc(notary stating the facts as this a legal document

You could even get one from the uncle and references etc

If confused then speak to a professional agent. i had none as there was a balls up with the college so i cant even prove i atteneded but i did a stat dec with everything i learned in my first and second year at college and in depth with all the techniques id learnt ettc to make it apparent i knew what i was on about

and in vic or nsw you dont need to do a test to work

in vic you dont need to do a test to open a business too

al
Hi
i'm sort of in the same boat..i qualified in 2002 and gained an in house diploma in hairdressing within the company...so no city and guilds?

Do you think i would pass the tra with this?
holly30 is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:38 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane Queensland
Posts: 168
Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: 25 years experience but no formal qualifications - how to get a job in Oz?

Originally Posted by holly30 View Post
Hi
i'm sort of in the same boat..i qualified in 2002 and gained an in house diploma in hairdressing within the company...so no city and guilds?

Do you think i would pass the tra with this?
hi

Dont think so but it is worth a try. emigration companies will be able to tell you for definate and is some parts of Oz you will need to do a trade test.
but in this country in haouse qualifications done mean a thing really, sorry, you might be able to do a recognised qualification though in time there are loads of training options available to those who know, when are you planning on going? you might have time to gain a qualification before you start your application process
Please feel free to get back to me with anything else
regards
carl
what part of the uk are you in?
Carl England is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.