British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Working Abroad by Profession (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/)
-   -   1st class/coded/journeyman welder looking to canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/1st-class-coded-journeyman-welder-looking-canada-720549/)

nikextra Jun 11th 2011 6:43 pm

1st class/coded/journeyman welder looking to canada

Hi all

I have city and guilds in welding and fabrication etc nvqs etc and 11 years shipyard experience 5 years welding mig flux and solid wire currently welding 50mm plate butts /seams etc on the new british aircraft carriers, also can use kat automated welding system twin fillet etc all forklifts cranes blah blah lol

looking for work in canada any ideas where best areas or websites?
have a family (wife and 2 kids)

Thanks in advance
:fingerscrossed:

markan Jul 12th 2011 1:19 am

Re: 1st class/coded/journeyman welder looking to canada

If you look at Job Bank.ca you will find more welding jobs in Ontario than the rest of Canada put together.

nikextra Jul 12th 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by markan (Post 9489697)
If you look at Job Bank.ca you will find more welding jobs in Ontario than the rest of Canada put together.

Yep already on the mailing list :) been watching the weather as well Victoria Halifax and Toronto and Toronto seems to be the best in summer (was expecting victoria)
You know red seal and other Canadian welding qualification, is there anywhere I can get these in England before I arrive?

markan Jul 13th 2011 12:31 am

In Ontario you need to be CWB (Canadian Welding Bureau) certified in whichever type of welding you will be doing. Smaller companies may just test you themselves, and offer you a start but the pay is then unlikely to be great. If you can prove to a company that your work is acceptable, they will put you in for your certification as the CWB inspectors frequently visit companies as tickets are only valid for 2 years .

markan Jul 13th 2011 12:36 am

Sorry,are you a competent stick welder.

nikextra Jul 13th 2011 10:28 am

Originally Posted by markan (Post 9492037)
Sorry,are you a competent stick welder.

No m8 mig solid and flux cored all positions and submerged arc machines all work visually inspected mpi and x rayed :)
So it's basically get permanent residency and apply for job and pass welding test , was hoping I could get sponsored and do my perm res whilst there but sponsorship seems like a bit of a myth 2 me unless u work 4 a company that wants to send u there :(
As for stick/mma it was considered obsolete at our yard so they threw it all out but they kept a few leads that r used in the mig machines to convert them to hold a stick . I'd be able to pick it up given a week and a load of plate :)

markan Jul 14th 2011 3:35 am

Reason I mention stick is that its all that is used on construction sites. Thats where the money is. A good wage for a good welder in a shop in Toronto will pay approx $24, thats if youre lucky. A site welder in Toronto will earn $40 plus full benefits, $ 6.50 per hour put into pension etc. Thats $13,000 a year put into your pension. Its certainly worth thinking about.
Its all about getting a lucky break, right place at right time thing.If you decide on the Toronto area I should be able to help.
Google Local 721 for Toronto Ironworkers Union and see their package.

nikextra Sep 7th 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by markan (Post 9494377)
Reason I mention stick is that its all that is used on construction sites. Thats where the money is. A good wage for a good welder in a shop in Toronto will pay approx $24, thats if youre lucky. A site welder in Toronto will earn $40 plus full benefits, $ 6.50 per hour put into pension etc. Thats $13,000 a year put into your pension. Its certainly worth thinking about.
Its all about getting a lucky break, right place at right time thing.If you decide on the Toronto area I should be able to help.

Yes mate Toronto would be good my wires friend emigrated to there and he loves it he's selling cars for a living couldn't believe it when I saw it was regularly in the 80s there it Beverly really gets above 70 in this country anymore :( and Toronto is only like what 2 hrs from new York ?

nikextra Sep 7th 2011 6:57 pm

Sorry iPhone autocorrect keeps changing my words for the worse lol

nikextra Sep 8th 2011 11:44 am

Yes m8 whatever help u can give me would be awesome
Thanks

dontfencemein Jan 1st 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Nike,
Get in touch with me as I can point you to positions coming up in Shipbuilding, I am a shipbuilder so I do know what I am talking about, interviews can be done in U.K. mid-Feb for shipyard workers with experience of building ships, lots of openings coming up so dont keep to yourself.

Cheers

Originally Posted by nikextra (Post 9426194)
Hi all

I have city and guilds in welding and fabrication etc nvqs etc and 11 years shipyard experience 5 years welding mig flux and solid wire currently welding 50mm plate butts /seams etc on the new british aircraft carriers, also can use kat automated welding system twin fillet etc all forklifts cranes blah blah lol

looking for work in canada any ideas where best areas or websites?
have a family (wife and 2 kids)

Thanks in advance
:fingerscrossed:

Amnesia Man Feb 4th 2012 2:38 pm

welder looking for work in canada

Hi

Saw this post and wondered if you would be able to help. Am UK based but considering moving to Canada with my family, have uncle in Toronto. Anyhow i am qualified welder with stick (23 years), workshop and site experience...are there opportunities still available?

Cheers

markan Feb 5th 2012 8:33 pm

Toronto and area always has work advertised for welders etc. Like I said to Nik I should be able to help anyone in this line of work. When are you thinking of coming.

Amnesia Man Feb 7th 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by markan (Post 9885515)
Toronto and area always has work advertised for welders etc. Like I said to Nik I should be able to help anyone in this line of work. When are you thinking of coming.

Thanks for replying. I plan to take a recce trip in late May/June, just to get an idea of what is available. If it would be possible to send me a few links of local businesses that I could look-up, would be a great help (and of course any other info that would be relevant). Looks like I have a lot of reading up to do!

PM me if more convenient

markan Feb 7th 2012 4:08 pm

Are you looking to come on a work permit or applying for residency .