Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Young female, psychiatric nurse needing advice on moving to work in Melbourne

Young female, psychiatric nurse needing advice on moving to work in Melbourne

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

funkyashbash is a jewel in the roughfunkyashbash is a jewel in the roughfunkyashbash is a jewel in the roughfunkyashbash is a jewel in the rough
Smile Young female, psychiatric nurse needing advice on moving to work in Melbourne

Hi guys. My names ashley from glasgow. I'm young, single and seriously thinking about making a move to oz to work. I qualified in 2009 with my degree in psychiatric nursing. I have now nearly 2 years of working with addictions and social work regarding child protection cases behind me. I have no ties to stop me however the thought is naturally daunting. I've lived in perth, western oz for a few months back in 2009 and wasn't impressed. Beautiful place of course however i am a city chic and was told by backpackers whom i met in pubs in perth then i would like Melbourne better as it is more modern and cosmopolitan. Is this the case? Would love to hear from folk. Thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young female, psychiatric nurse needing advice on moving to work in Melbourne

Originally Posted by funkyashbash
Hi guys. My names ashley from glasgow. I'm young, single and seriously thinking about making a move to oz to work. I qualified in 2009 with my degree in psychiatric nursing. I have now nearly 2 years of working with addictions and social work regarding child protection cases behind me. I have no ties to stop me however the thought is naturally daunting. I've lived in perth, western oz for a few months back in 2009 and wasn't impressed. Beautiful place of course however i am a city chic and was told by backpackers whom i met in pubs in perth then i would like Melbourne better as it is more modern and cosmopolitan. Is this the case? Would love to hear from folk. Thanks
Hello Ashley from Glasgow...welcome to BE. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

We have quite a few members who live in the Melbourne area...they tend to hang out in the Australia Forums. If you repost your questions there I'm sure they will be pleased to give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum...the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat.

I recommend you take a look in the BE Wiki...lot of info in there about life Down Under.

Kelli28, Sherlock Holmes and newjersey are the concierges for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact Kelli, Alistair or newjersey

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alfresco.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help. Good luck.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young female, psychiatric nurse needing advice on moving to work in Melbourne

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:28 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ashley

Welcome to BE
I would definitely recommend you popping over to the Australia forum, where there are plenty of expats in Melbourne who will be only too happy to help out with advice and tips.
I can understand how daunting the thought of moving to the other side of the world is, but what an exciting opportunity too, make the most of it whilst you are still young free and single. It takes courage, but that makes it all the more worthwhile.
I wish you all the very best luck with your quest

Dread - x
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:44 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funkyashbash
Hi ashley welcome to BE.

If you have no ties I'd try and vist as many places as possible before you decide.