Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

From Yorkshire to Alaska!

From Yorkshire to Alaska!

Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:45 pm
Hello Moto!!!!!

IloveAlaska is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From Yorkshire to Alaska!

I am new to the site, that's probably why I am not following instruction. I just read that I am supposed to write an introduction before adding to other threads......oops! Anyways I was just so excited to see the words "Anyone from Yorkshire?" that I couldn't help myself! So,my name is Carol, I am originally from West Yorkshire, near Dewsbury/Huddersfield. Married an American lived in Hawaii for a while, then Poway, San Diego. Moved back to Yorkshire had our kids, then made the decision to take a trip to Alaska. My husband had visited in his teens and always wanted to go back, with thoughts of moving there! I wasn't so sure about living in the cold and dark (OK that was pretty ignorant and naive of me). We actually took the trip, and I fell in love with Alaska immediately. I guess it has something to do with the wide open space. I used to spend much of my child hood in the Yorkshire Dales, and I have lots of fond memories of playing in the river at Gargrave, or spending Sundays playing in the water at Kettlewell with our family dog etc. All those beautiful green fields, with endless dry stone walls!!

So Alaska isn't much different. Especially in the summer, soon as the ground warms up a little, everything bursts into life, growing as fast as it can. Then everywhere is beautiful and green (rather like the Dales). I am also incredibly lucky to have an awesome view of Mt McKinley each and every day. No picture or photograph can do it the justice of seeing it with the naked eye!

So back to the forum, I am looking forward to chatting with other expats. I did have a really good friend from England living about 30 miles away, but she and her husband had to return to England, after problems with their work visas. I was gutted Even though I have a bunch of lovely American friends, it's just not quite the same as English friends. I find we just aren't quite on the same wave lengths. Anyone else feel the same?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Yorkshire to Alaska!

Well to BE, great intro!

Good luck with the move

And there's another member who's in Alaska so I'm sure they might be able to help with any questions
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IloveAlaska
I am new to the site, that's probably why I am not following instruction. I just read that I am supposed to write an introduction before adding to other threads......oops! Anyways I was just so excited to see the words "Anyone from Yorkshire?" that I couldn't help myself! So,my name is Carol, I am originally from West Yorkshire, near Dewsbury/Huddersfield. Married an American lived in Hawaii for a while, then Poway, San Diego. Moved back to Yorkshire had our kids, then made the decision to take a trip to Alaska. My husband had visited in his teens and always wanted to go back, with thoughts of moving there! I wasn't so sure about living in the cold and dark (OK that was pretty ignorant and naive of me). We actually took the trip, and I fell in love with Alaska immediately. I guess it has something to do with the wide open space. I used to spend much of my child hood in the Yorkshire Dales, and I have lots of fond memories of playing in the river at Gargrave, or spending Sundays playing in the water at Kettlewell with our family dog etc. All those beautiful green fields, with endless dry stone walls!!

So Alaska isn't much different. Especially in the summer, soon as the ground warms up a little, everything bursts into life, growing as fast as it can. Then everywhere is beautiful and green (rather like the Dales). I am also incredibly lucky to have an awesome view of Mt McKinley each and every day. No picture or photograph can do it the justice of seeing it with the naked eye!

So back to the forum, I am looking forward to chatting with other expats. I did have a really good friend from England living about 30 miles away, but she and her husband had to return to England, after problems with their work visas. I was gutted Even though I have a bunch of lovely American friends, it's just not quite the same as English friends. I find we just aren't quite on the same wave lengths. Anyone else feel the same?
Hello and welcome to BE.

Jan Alaska...lives in Wasilla...you can contact her by sending her a Private Message.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 13th 2011 at 12:24 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:46 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alaska

Welcome to BE from me too. I see you have already been given the name of another expat in your neighbourhood so that's definitely a good start. We all need that Brit fix from time to time - especially or the humour thing as it just isn;t the same elsewhere is it?!

If you haven't already pop over and say hi in the USA forum, where there are plenty of other Brits to chat to.

All the best and I hope you enjoy our little cyber world

Dread - x