British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   wheres the right place??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/wheres-right-place-771958/)

cazann Sep 18th 2012 12:24 pm

wheres the right place???

Hi everyone,

we had our hopes built up for a fresh start in the USA but I think we need to be realistic and realise that you need a hell of alot of money to even think of it.

Our situation is we would love to live somewhere that has a nicer climate than the UK, better job prospects and family friendly and possibly where other brits are relocating.

My partner has roughly £20,000 for start up costs in buying a small business and in the near future an income from rental properties.

I would like to home school my 2 children also.

Anyb suggestions would be appreciated :D

Bob Sep 18th 2012 12:57 pm

Re: wheres the right place???

This is really just a spot to introduce yourselves, might want to check out the Lounge as a general area to post.

Though when you say job prospects, in what kind of area? Some places will have different prospects to others depending on occupation.

What do you think of as better weather? Sweat your balls off heat and humidity or mountains of snow?

Rest of the EU would be easiest as you won't need to worry about visas. Most Scandinavian countries won't have a language issue if that's a concern.

Your money would go furthest in Eastern Europe.

Garbatellamike Sep 18th 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by cazann (Post 10286852)
Hi everyone,

we had our hopes built up for a fresh start in the USA but I think we need to be realistic and realise that you need a hell of alot of money to even think of it.

Our situation is we would love to live somewhere that has a nicer climate than the UK, better job prospects and family friendly and possibly where other brits are relocating.

My partner has roughly £20,000 for start up costs in buying a small business and in the near future an income from rental properties.

I would like to home school my 2 children also.

Anyb suggestions would be appreciated :D

Cazann,
IMHO Italy would only be about a 60-70% solution for your criteria:

nicer climate yes
better job prospects no
family friendly yes
other brits relocating yes but not in huge numbers

other places may score more highly, hope that helps

ciao
Mike

dreadsoc Sep 19th 2012 1:26 am

Hi Cazann

Welcome to BE.

I have just had a read through your other posts on the USA and Europe forums which gives me a little bit of an overview of your circumstances.
My first question would be - what is the primary driving force behind your desire to make a fresh start?
Identifying that may help you identify potential locations to consider.
Then when you identify a location, do masses and masses of research on every aspect of it.
I would also advise that even if you decide upon a location, go and live there for 6 months to a year before you invest, like a 'try before you buy' option - for the simple reason that you never know what anywhere is really like until you have lived there.

Other than that I wish you all the very best with whatever you do and wherever you end up, and I hope our forums help you along the way

Dread - x

dmu Sep 19th 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by dreadsoc (Post 10287990)
I have just had a read through your other posts on the USA and Europe forums which gives me a little bit of an overview of your circumstances.

Hi again! In view of your family circumstances, I still believe a move to somewhere else in the UK or Eire would be best, but good luck in your endeavours!:fingerscrossed:

christmasoompa Sep 19th 2012 8:51 am

Having read your other posts, I have to be honest and say that I think to take your son away from the safety net the UK offers, and the NHS, may not be a great choice.

Why not look at moving within the UK? Plenty of gorgeous areas to choose from.

Does the £20k savings you mention include move costs, or is it on top of them? You'd probably spend all of that on emigrating!

If the UK really isn't an option, then I'd say it's got to be somewhere within the EU where no visa will be required and no medical needs to be taken.

Good luck.

:)

cazann Sep 19th 2012 1:23 pm

hi,
yeh our biggest reason in wanting to relocate is the area we are in is getting worse, violence, crime and so on. We know that many other countries or places are the same.

My son has learning disabilities so tbh health care wouldnt be a problem. He is more of an indoor kid who sits on computers 24/7 if allowed but we would love to be more outdoors especially as we have a little girl.

The £20,000 would be start up costs for a new business we would have so much money to be able to rent a place and survive on for atleast 6 months. We would like to live on the income from the business but if not job prospects for painter's would be ideal. I would prefer to stay at home but am very flexible on finding a job.

Thanks

christmasoompa Sep 19th 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by cazann (Post 10288893)
hi,
yeh our biggest reason in wanting to relocate is the area we are in is getting worse, violence, crime and so on. We know that many other countries or places are the same.

In which case, I'd definitely look at relocating within the UK. Plenty of places that are yob free, and where you can feel safe.

Good luck.

:)

Rosemary Sep 20th 2012 9:13 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary