Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

when I turn 18 will it be easy to move to th USA?

when I turn 18 will it be easy to move to th USA?

Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:04 am
Just Joined

vana_16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when I turn 18 will it be easy to move to th USA?

hi guys, I'm currently 16 and im only turning 17 next year in May. when I turn 18 I'm planning on moving to the U.S. as I have my boyfriend of nearly two years over there in California but I've read some stuff online about moving to the U.S. and I've seen that it's hard. please help! what should I do? and what's the best way to move to the U.S.?
many refegards, vana.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when I turn 18 will it be easy to move to th USA?

Get him to pop the question.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vana_16
hi guys, I'm currently 16 and im only turning 17 next year in May. when I turn 18 I'm planning on moving to the U.S. as I have my boyfriend of nearly two years over there in California but I've read some stuff online about moving to the U.S. and I've seen that it's hard. please help! what should I do? and what's the best way to move to the U.S.?
many refegards, vana.
Hello and welcome to BE.

I suggest you take a read through the following...they are basically the routes to living in the US.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Why don't you join us over in the US forums?

USA - British Expats
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Get him to pop the question.
haha but I'd still be young for that.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In that case...to move to the US at 18...uni would be your only route and that is mega expensive I'm afraid.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case...to move to the US at 18...uni would be your only route and that is mega expensive I'm afraid.
how much yearly do you think uni costs there? or does that depend on what you pick to do in uni?
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

18 is young for a committed marriage, but sometimes it can be used as a way of seeing if your relationship is going anywhere and is viable. A tool to be used. Law across countries doesnt make it easy for trans-Atlantic relationships. Marriage is an option whether it is a planed long term solution or a short/medium term solution. As long as you both know that, I dont see the problem.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
18 is young for a committed marriage, but sometimes it can be used as a way of seeing if your relationship is going anywhere and is viable. A tool to be used. Law across countries doesnt make it easy for trans-Atlantic relationships. Marriage is an option whether it is a planed long term solution or a short/medium term solution. As long as you both know that, I dont see the problem.
yeah marriage was kind of the last option I was thinking of but I guess it's the easiest one. it's definitely something I've got to have a long discussion about. thank you very much for the help btw!
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

how much yearly do you think uni costs there? or does that depend on what you pick to do in uni?
All in...probably in the region of $200K over 4 years.

yeah marriage was kind of the last option I was thinking of but I guess it's the easiest one. it's definitely something I've got to have a long discussion about. thank you very much for the help btw!
I'm of the opposite opinion...IMO marriage shouldn't be an option at your age in order to move to the US. I presume you met on the internet and haven't spent much time together.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
All in...probably in the region of $200K over 4 years.

I'm of the opposite opinion...IMO marriage shouldn't be an option at your age in order to move to the US. I presume you met on the internet and haven't spent much time together.
yes, I'm not into the whole marriage thing either only because I'm young but like before I do move their I am planning on going there to the U.S. for a long holiday and see how it goes before moving there, that's is if I do move.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your options to move to the US are:

-Work visa - you need a sponsoring employer
-Investment visa - you need loads of money
-Student visa - which means having to pay for college education in the UK - expensive
-Marriage visa - not really applicable to you at your age.

Going to the US for a long holiday is up to 90 days at the most, and for that length of time you need to show you have the monies to survive and a return ticket to the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Look into a third party country? WHV as a possibility to Canada for you, but they go quick and if the OH can blag a TN visa with some skills for a work visa, it might be feasible but just like all the other options, slim.