Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

What degree can I come to US with?

What degree can I come to US with?

Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Beckyhew92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What degree can I come to US with?

Hi everyone.

I want to move to the USA, however I don't have a degree. I have been working for a Education Recruitment Agency (providing supply and permanent teachers to schools) as a payroll and safeguarding administrator for 3 years. I would love to stay in the same line of work - or very similar at a higher level. I have 2 children ages 6 and 3 and a partner. What degree level would give me a chance of a move to the US? I am looking at accounting degrees.

Any advice is welcome πŸ˜€ Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What degree can I come to US with?

Originally Posted by Beckyhew92
Hi everyone.

I want to move to the USA, however I don't have a degree. I have been working for a Education Recruitment Agency (providing supply and permanent teachers to schools) as a payroll and safeguarding administrator for 3 years. I would love to stay in the same line of work - or very similar at a higher level. I have 2 children ages 6 and 3 and a partner. What degree level would give me a chance of a move to the US? I am looking at accounting degrees.

Any advice is welcome πŸ˜€ Thanks
Welcome to BE.

You would probably need a Masters degree, remember that the US system is very different from the UK one. Perhaps the question would be better off in the US immigration forum?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you. Yes, brand new to this site πŸ™Š
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Yes, brand new to this site πŸ™Š
This is the place..

US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas - British Expats

also have a read of this..

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help, I'll check those out ☺️
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Any advice is welcome οΏ½ οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½ Thanks
Hello and welcome to BE.

We have several excellent US forums...

USA - British Expats

At the top of the page you will see a link for the US Immigration Forum. It would be best if you reposted your questions about immigration to the US in there. Before you do I suggest you read through the link Mike gave you...Pulaski's Ways. If you fit into any of the categories listed...you may have a chance of moving to the US.

Why don't you join us in the General or Trailer Park forums to find out more about life in the US? I look forward to seeing you there.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 3:12 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I want to move to the USA
Why, may I ask?
Education Recruitment Agency
Maybe get a job with an Education Recruitment Agency that has International connections, and get a transfer?
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Getting an accounting degree won't make you eligible for accounting jobs, you would only be eligible for bookkeeping work, and, I guarantee that no employer is going to stump up $5,000-$8,000 for visa and legal fees to hire a foreign bookkeeper when there are plenty of suitably qualified candidates already in the US and ready to start work in 14 days (typical notice period in the US).

A business in the US looking for an "accountant" would expect a Certified Public Accountant qualification, which is obtained after obtaining an accounting degree.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Why, may I ask?

Maybe get a job with an Education Recruitment Agency that has International connections, and get a transfer?
The USA is somewhere I have always wanted to live. I love the people and the lifestyles and place, a beautiful country. The town I live in has nothing to offer my children growing up, I want the best I can get for them. I will have a look at agencies with offices in the US. How likely is the company to transfer you though? Thanks for the help
Old Jan 10th 2016, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Getting an accounting degree won't make you eligible for accounting jobs, you would only be eligible for bookkeeping work, and, I guarantee that no employer is going to stump up $5,000-$8,000 for visa and legal fees to hire a foreign bookkeeper when there are plenty of suitably qualified candidates already in the US and ready to start work in 14 days (typical notice period in the US).

A business in the US looking for an "accountant" would expect a Certified Public Accountant qualification, which is obtained after obtaining an accounting degree.
Thank you for the information.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The town I live in has nothing to offer my children growing up, I want the best I can get for them.
Why not move within the UK? A heck of a lot cheaper and easier! The US seems an odd choice to me if you're doing it for your kids too, given healthcare nightmares, lack of vacation time and schools often not being as good as in the UK.

So I wonder if a move within the UK might achieve what you're after? Good luck with whatever you decide though.

Old Jan 10th 2016, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The USA is somewhere I have always wanted to live. I love the people and the lifestyles and place, a beautiful country. The town I live in has nothing to offer my children growing up, I want the best I can get for them. I will have a look at agencies with offices in the US. How likely is the company to transfer you though? Thanks for the help
It sounds like you're not aware that the usual holiday entitlement in the US for non-managerial & non-professional staff is ten days. And no paid sick leave.

You will also face health insurance costs which will be $600-$2,000/mth for a family of four, plus medical costs not covered by insurance, which could be zero if you don't use any medical services, but if say you broke a leg in the first week of January, and the total bill is $50,000, if you had the $2,000/mth insurance you might have to pay the first $1,000-$1,500, but with the $600/mth insurance you might have to pay the first $8,000 dollars (the "pay first" amount is annual, so any use of medical services later in the year would be almost entirely covered). FWIW the cheaper insurance is likely the best deal if you're in good health, but you have to be prepared to pay the first $x,000 if you get sick.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 10th 2016 at 2:48 pm.