British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Want to move away from Scotland. But to where?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/want-move-away-scotland-but-where-805113/)

Julie85 Aug 5th 2013 1:50 pm

Want to move away from Scotland. But to where??

Hi all!! I want to move abroad for a better lifestyle and opportunities!
I have 3 young kids (10,8,3) and my partner works abroad. I have talked about it for years and really want to start putting it into motion. However, I don't know where to start, so I've came here!! If if was just me I would be away by now but I want to go somewhere my kids will integrate well and have a better quality of life.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance x

bakedbean Aug 5th 2013 2:21 pm

Re: Want to move away from Scotland. But to where??

Hi Julie and welcome to the forum :)

I see you've already posted in the Spain section so I guess that country is on your radar. I guess your top priority will be to find suitable and affordable schooling for your children. All the best with your planning.

Persephone Aug 5th 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Julie, welcome to BE!

BB has mentioned Spain so presumably that's your first choice. If you're thinking of emigrating outside the EU then you need to consider whether you can get a visa. It's not always easy depending on what you do for a living.
There are pros and cons to every country as well so have a look round the individual country forums to see what those on the ground are saying;)

Best of luck
P:)

scot47 Aug 5th 2013 7:38 pm

Questions about moving to Spain for you.

You will have an income from your husband who works "away". Will he be liable for Spanish tax if you move ?

What are your arrangements for healthcare in Spain ?

Have you investigated schooling ? Will your children go to Spanish state schools ?.

Julie85 Aug 5th 2013 7:57 pm

My main priority is somewhere with good schooling for the kids! I have briefly looked into schooling, both private British schools and Spanish state schools. I would also be hoping to find employment which is why Spain isn't ideal due to their economy at the moment! Which is why I was asking for other options which may be available!

I will have a look through other individual country forums :)

Thanks

cheryl67 Aug 6th 2013 2:34 pm

hi Julie ...
were from Scotland too ,we moved to spain 6 wks ago, my hubby works away so its just me and my daughter shes 10 ,we are currently renting a property till we find exactly where we want to stay ,my daughter will be going to Spanish school she is taking Spanish lessons at the moment to help her intergrate better at school ... cheryl67

Rosemary Aug 11th 2013 7:12 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

meg5050 Aug 17th 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Julie85 (Post 10836210)
Hi all!! I want to move abroad for a better lifestyle and opportunities!
I have 3 young kids (10,8,3) and my partner works abroad. I have talked about it for years and really want to start putting it into motion. However, I don't know where to start, so I've came here!! If if was just me I would be away by now but I want to go somewhere my kids will integrate well and have a better quality of life.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance x

Hi
I live in Nova Scotia it a lovely way of life especially for children due to unforeseen circumstances I want to move to Scotland maybe we could swap for a while

bakedbean Aug 18th 2013 8:07 am

Hi Meg and welcome to the forum :)

You may like to have a browse in the Moving Back to the UK section of the forum. Lots of helpful info in there.