Reload this Page >

Dreaming of new life in Oz

Dreaming of new life in Oz

Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Bungle1323 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Dreaming of new life in Oz

Hi all

I am Julie and am 38 years old. My hubby and I have two children aged 7 and 5 and have a nice life. Nice house, good jobs, kids happy, ....... but for the last few years we have toyed with the idea of emmigrating to Australia. We always decide its not for us (creatures of habit and bit scared of change) but are now at the stage in our lives where we are in a bit of a rut. Dont get me wrong we are happy, but getting very disheartened with the UK for lots of reasons. We have friends out in Oz who used to live near us here in the UK and they have been there a number of years now and love it.

We are now at the stage whereby we are thinking if we dont do it now then it may be too late so thinking of going for it. We are thinking of settling in Cairns (weather very appealing amongst other things).

I will probably post lots on here as I wont lie ... I do have fears about certain things (spiders being one of them )

Anyway, hope to chat to you all at some point and look forward to the whole process

x
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dreaming of new life in Oz

Hi and welcome
We are very new here - so can still remember having many of the concerns you mentioned. have a really good look around the Australia section and search through back threads too - they can often be the most helpful way to find out what you want to know quickly! My Aussie neighbours all laugh hysterically at my fear of crawlies and reckon most of the expats watch far too many "deadly Australian creature" type tv programmes. Be careful what you choose to read here - in my opinion, you can know far too much about some things
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bungle1323
Hi all

I am Julie and am 38 years old. My hubby and I have two children aged 7 and 5 and have a nice life. Nice house, good jobs, kids happy, ....... but for the last few years we have toyed with the idea of emmigrating to Australia. We always decide its not for us (creatures of habit and bit scared of change) but are now at the stage in our lives where we are in a bit of a rut. Dont get me wrong we are happy, but getting very disheartened with the UK for lots of reasons. We have friends out in Oz who used to live near us here in the UK and they have been there a number of years now and love it.

We are now at the stage whereby we are thinking if we dont do it now then it may be too late so thinking of going for it. We are thinking of settling in Cairns (weather very appealing amongst other things).

I will probably post lots on here as I wont lie ... I do have fears about certain things (spiders being one of them )

Anyway, hope to chat to you all at some point and look forward to the whole process

x
Hello and welcome to BE.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I live in the US not too far away from New York City...bugs are the thing that prevents me moving further south. We get big bugs here but nothing like the size or quantity they get down in Florida. I'm not too fond of reptiles either.

There are many BE members who post in the Australia Forum who live in the Cairns area. Why don't you pop over there and say hello? You're sure to get lots of tips and advice about life in Australia. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum...the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Alistairboyle is the concierge for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact him.

If you have any concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. The mods for the Australia forums are Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. Good luck.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

terence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really niceterence 35 is just really nice

Hi all

I am Julie and am 38 years old. My hubby and I have two children aged 7 and 5 and have a nice life. Nice house, good jobs, kids happy, ....... but for the last few years we have toyed with the idea of emigrating to Australia. We always decide its not for us (creatures of habit and bit scared of change) but are now at the stage in our lives where we are in a bit of a rut. Don't get me wrong we are happy, but getting very disheartened with the UK for lots of reasons. We have friends out in Oz who used to live near us here in the UK and they have been there a number of years now and love it.

We are now at the stage whereby we are thinking if we don't do it now then it may be too late so thinking of going for it. We are thinking of settling in Cairns (weather very appealing amongst other things).

x
Hi ! my advice to you lot is to just DO IT !! iam a 35 year old male tiler in the process of emigrating alone ! been fed up with the UK full stop for years and its only going to get worse as you two probably no already ? i visited oz for 3 weeks over Xmas and new year ( which turned into 6 weeks as i didn't want to come back). i new immediately i wanted to live there. iam thinking the same as you to are ... if i don't do it now i never will ! my advice would be if you don't like it and it isn't 4 u, you can easily return back to the UK ? the most you will loose is a few grand ?? if you don't try you will never no !! ive hummed and harred for years about actually doing it .., but now iam half way there and wish id done it years ago ! good luck
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

x
Welcome to the Forum...
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:44 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

x
start researching now!
look at unemploment rates, schools, areas close to work, family areas, shippers auch i could go on for hours
have a look at this link it may help
oh and welcome to the forum

soapy
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:43 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julie

Welcome to BE and thank you for such an honest post.

I am glad you have found BE as making such a big step is not an easy decision to make -although you do sound like you are half way there.
You need to introduce yourself over on the Australia forum, for which my colleagues have given you the links. There are many expats on there who have made the move and can give you all the information you need to help you finally decide. Also if you do decide to go for it, the information on that forum is bound tomake the process much easier as the good folks there can guide you on all the bits and bobs you need to do

Good luck whichever decision you make

Dread - x