Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello! New Member here! (UK/USA couple living in US)

Hello! New Member here! (UK/USA couple living in US)

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sister Luck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello! New Member here! (UK/USA couple living in US)

Hello there!

I've just learned of this forum from an Aussie friend who's quite active on here. I'm told a wealth of information can be found here in all manner of things.

Particularly, I'll be hoping to see information about immigration status change, which is what my British husband is in process of doing (with me as the US sponsor). He's been on an E2 visa for 15 years, not changing to green card status.

Paperwork has all been filed and received and his Work Permit has arrived. We are still waiting on interview notification. We expect that may be any time now. I'd love to hear from people who've been through that daunting process.

So, it's nice to meet you all here and I'll look forward to reading and learning, and possibly even being entertained!

Cheers,
Sister Luck
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello! New Member here! (UK/USA couple living in US)

Good morning and welcome to BE.

I'm a born American citizen who sponsored her Canadian husband over 19 years ago. Not much has changed about the process and while you might have found it daunting, it is relatively easy and uncomplicated to adjust status. As your husband was in the US legally on another visa, you were, as your name suggests, lucky that you were married and able to live together from day one.

I see that you are living in the holy grail of cities for most Brits ... Orlando, Florida. It sometimes seems as this is the only city in all of the US that Brits want to immigrate to.

Here is the link to the US marriage-based visa forum. Marriage Based Visas - British Expats where you will learn the proper terminology, i.e. adjustment of status not status change and employment authorization document (EAD) not working permit ;-)

And this is the link for the main grouping of the USA forums http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/

You will find some American citizens, such as myself, however, most of our members are British and have become naturalized US citizens. I'm sure your husband will enjoy the British humor and manner of speaking that is uniquely British.

Again, welcome and if your husband is interested, please have him set up his own account.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 2nd 2017 at 3:30 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sister Luck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rete for all the info! I have alerted my husband to join as well. You are certainly right about Orlando being the magnet for British expats!!!

And just to be clear...my Brit husband has been in the US for about 16 years now, But I didn't meet him until 2014 and we were married earlier this year.

Cheers,
SL
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sister Luck
Thanks Rete for all the info! I have alerted my husband to join as well. You are certainly right about Orlando being the magnet for British expats!!!

And just to be clear...my Brit husband has been in the US for about 16 years now, But I didn't meet him until 2014 and we were married earlier this year.

Cheers,
SL
Yes, I got that from your initial posting. Congratulations on your recent wedding.