Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Wannabe Expat here...

Wannabe Expat here...

Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:21 am
Meandering

WanderingBrit will become famous soon enough
Default Wannabe Expat here...

As the title says, a wannabe expat here.

Hoping to get out of the country by this time next year. But the way things are going atm, could be a bit longer.

Hoping to gain some knowledge from seasoned expats, and maybe share some info that I come across while doing my research.

Atm, my research tactic is more like a bull in a chinashop - all over the place and probably not totally productive..

So, hi and hopefully see you around the forum!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wannabe Expat here...

Originally Posted by WanderingBrit
As the title says, a wannabe expat here.

Hoping to get out of the country by this time next year. But the way things are going atm, could be a bit longer.

Hoping to gain some knowledge from seasoned expats, and maybe share some info that I come across while doing my research.

Atm, my research tactic is more like a bull in a chinashop - all over the place and probably not totally productive..

So, hi and hopefully see you around the forum!
Hi there...welcome aboard.

You'll certainly find plenty of opinions on life as an expat on these forums. As you are undecided as to what country to move to...I suggest you take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad forum and take a read through the threads in some of the forums. If you come across a country you're interested in...open a thread and start asking questions. You'll find that we are a friendly bunch and will offer you plenty of tips and information about your chosen country.

Also take a look in the BE Wiki...there's loads of information in there. Before you post please read any 'sticky' threads or announcements that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

For all other problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names are located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold font.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi WanderingBrit,

Welcome to BE, I'm sure you will meet many, many fellow wandering Brits here

Any ideas what part of the world you are leaning toward?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:58 am
Meandering

Hi!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sue, I am not sure. I have been doing a TEFL course, so I have a wide choice.

I was thinking about an English speaking country, but then just decided that was the easy way out. So got my TEFL qualification and now thinking about popping out to Asia - South Korea, Thailand - that sort of area.

But still in the wishing stage atm. Need to get money and sort out the logistics of this whole thing. It's quite daunting, but I know it will be very rewarding and fulfilling...in the end.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

I was thinking about an English speaking country, but then just decided that was the easy way out. So got my TEFL qualification and now thinking about popping out to Asia - South Korea, Thailand - that sort of area.

But still in the wishing stage atm. Need to get money and sort out the logistics of this whole thing. It's quite daunting, but I know it will be very rewarding and fulfilling...in the end.
In that case go straight to our Far East Forums...do not pass GO.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:02 am
Meandering

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case go straight to our Far East Forums...do not pass GO.
But can I still get the £200 for my "relocation fund?"
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:05 am
Meandering

I can't pass GO?

Can I still have the £200?

I need start up funds.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I can't pass GO?

Can I still have the £200?

I need start up funds.
Sorry...economic recession and all that.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:13 am
Meandering

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry...economic recession and all that.
Blast! It's just one set-back after another!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Blast! It's just one set-back after another!
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Hi and hope all goes well with your planned move....on our travels we have met Brits in places we thought would be highly unlikely....we met a guy who told us he had gone to Liverpool Uni then had worked in IT and said to his friend one day I really dont like this job anymore and so he left....we asked him what he was now doing (we were rafting in Borneo and he was in our party) he said he teaches English in South Korea, he had no quals whatsoever in that field, had never been to the Far East but was loving his job and that it was a pleasure to wake up and go to work.....and what a lovely guy he was....good luck
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Forgot to ask what is a TEFL qualification.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brits1
I looked for a job in Singapore when i ran out of funds backpacking. Didn't take long, spent two years working in a sailing marina, though I had no experience whatsoever with yachts.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:04 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

But can I still get the £200 for my "relocation fund?"
Aww come on over to the Far East forum. We are all friendly... well apart from one or two Have a good read through and start posting some questions. Happy planning!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:21 am
Meandering

Originally Posted by brits1
TEFL stands for: "Teach English as a Foreign Language"

Really good fun and can open a whole host of possibilities for those who want to move abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.