British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Vancouver or Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/vancouver-melbourne-705819/)

Gibs Feb 17th 2011 3:42 pm

Vancouver or Melbourne

Hi All,

My partner and i would like to live abroad, however we have a decision to make Vancouver or Melbourne?

Anyone with advice on the matter re: cost of living, job availability in the fitness industry, quality of life?

Is getting a work Visa easy to obtain whilst out there?

:thumbsup:

Gibs

Jerseygirl Feb 17th 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Vancouver or Melbourne

Originally Posted by Gibs (Post 9183125)
Hi All,

My partner and i would like to live abroad, however we have a decision to make Vancouver or Melbourne?

Anyone with advice on the matter re: cost of living, job availability in the fitness industry, quality of life?

Is getting a work Visa easy to obtain whilst out there?

Gibs

Hello and welcome to BE.

Please could you refrain from posting duplicate posts...it becomes very confusing. ;) Thank you.

It would be best if you ask any questions you may about moving overseas in one of the country specific forums. You will get a much better response that way.

As most of your other posts were enquiring about Australia here is the link to our Australia Forums. The people who post in the Oz forums will give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum...the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Before you begin posting please take time to read through the Site Rules and any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Kelli28 is the concierge for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact Kelli.

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alistairboyle.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.

Gibs Feb 17th 2011 5:57 pm

Thank you for your response, as you can see I am new to the site and have already encountered my first mistake, thats what I get for being to keen on getting responses.

Gibs

Jerseygirl Feb 17th 2011 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Gibs (Post 9183368)
Thank you for your response, as you can see I am new to the site and have already encountered my first mistake, thats what I get for being to keen on getting responses.

Gibs

Not to worry...we were all new to BE once and a all made mistakes.

Please could you respond to this post as I wish to send you a Private Message and you need to have made 3 posts before you can use this funtion.

I'm sure you'll get lots of response if you ask your questions in the Australia forums...but please do not make duplicate posts or thread. ;)

Gibs Feb 17th 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks for your assistance

ExKiwilass Feb 17th 2011 8:30 pm

Vancouver is in Canada. You might want to check out the Canada forums too, but honestly, I would see which country you can get a visa for first.

Jerseygirl Feb 17th 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9183773)
Vancouver is in Canada. You might want to check out the Canada forums too, but honestly, I would see which country you can get a visa for first.

I only provided links to Australia because both Gibs and his partner had made several posts and only asked about Australia.

Gibs...if you want links to the Canada forums let me know.

Gibs Feb 17th 2011 8:55 pm

Hiya,

Thank you for your response.

Are you currrently living in vancouver?
If so how are you finding the cost of living, way of life, work, obtaining visas and lifestyle?

It's such a massive step that asking people for feedback before we arrive kind of helps paints a picture of what it could involve.

Gibs

Gibs Feb 17th 2011 9:07 pm

Yes, please snd me links to vancouver too

Thanks

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 17th 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Gibs, I can't help with your questions as I'm in New Zealand but just wanted to welcome you to BE. Happy posting & best of luck with whichever country you decide :thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Feb 17th 2011 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gibs (Post 9183845)
Yes, please snd me links to vancouver too

Thanks

When replying to posts please click on the blue 'Quote' tab at the bottom right hand side of the post you're replying to. You'll get the hang of all the site's bells and whistles. ;)

Here's details and links for the Canada Forums. If you click on this link it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

ExKiwilass Feb 17th 2011 10:44 pm

HEy Jersey girl no problem. wasn't trying to be snarky, just wanted to point out it was in Canada in case the OP wasn't aware..sometimes people aren't...he he ;)

ExKiwilass Feb 17th 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gibs (Post 9183820)
Hiya,

Thank you for your response.

Are you currrently living in vancouver?
If so how are you finding the cost of living, way of life, work, obtaining visas and lifestyle?

It's such a massive step that asking people for feedback before we arrive kind of helps paints a picture of what it could involve.

Gibs

Well, I love it here (have lived in Melbourne too) but I'm not a BE so you should check with someone from the UK. THere's lots of peeps from the Van area in the Canada forum and loads of threads - do a search.

However, I think it's a really good idea to see if you can get a visa first. That may well end up making the decision for you.

Jerseygirl Feb 17th 2011 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9184064)
HEy Jersey girl no problem. wasn't trying to be snarky, just wanted to point out it was in Canada in case the OP wasn't aware..sometimes people aren't...he he ;)

I didn't take it that way...no problem. :)

Gibs Feb 18th 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9184075)
Well, I love it here (have lived in Melbourne too) but I'm not a BE so you should check with someone from the UK. THere's lots of peeps from the Van area in the Canada forum and loads of threads - do a search.

However, I think it's a really good idea to see if you can get a visa first. That may well end up making the decision for you.

Thank you for your adivce
Much appreciated