Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

US/UK dual nationality for our child?

US/UK dual nationality for our child?

Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Chessall2e is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US/UK dual nationality for our child?

Hi! I'm so lost on this topic and it seems like our situation is a little different. I'm American and my husband has US/UK dual citizenship. He was born in America to an American mother and British father but moved to England when he was 2 and has lived there his whole life up until a couple years ago when he moved back to California. We are married and have an 8 month old child together born here in America but we are trying to move back to England because my husband also has a daughter in England and he can't stand living so far from her. Would our son be able to get dual citizenship??
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK dual nationality for our child?

to BE.

From what you've said your child may already be a dual UK/US citizen...if so it's a question of getting the correct paperwork. I suggest you repost in our US forum...giving a little more information. Is your husband British by descent and what year was he born?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Chessall2e is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Yes my husband was born in California in 1984. His mother is American and his father is British. My husband moved to England when he was 2 and lived there up until a couple years ago. I hope that answers your question and thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
to BE.

From what you've said your child may already be a dual UK/US citizen...if so it's a question of getting the correct paperwork. I suggest you repost in our US forum...giving a little more information. Is your husband British by descent and what year was he born?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:58 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE, hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Have you posted on the USA forum? Jerseygirl had given this link in an earlier reply http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

You can find USA and other Country-/region-specific Forums on the top left corner under "Forum Index". You are sure to get a response to this and any other queries from members. For further info contact any of the moderators ---- names on bottom right of each Forum. Or just give us a shout here.

Cheers
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chessall2e
Hi! Yes my husband was born in California in 1984. His mother is American and his father is British. My husband moved to England when he was 2 and lived there up until a couple years ago. I hope that answers your question and thanks for the reply!
Although I am a Brit born and bred...I don't know the ins and outs of UK citizenship because it seems to change as the years go by. I see you have now posted in the US forums...look out for posts by JAJ...he seems to have the best grasp of what is current UK legislation.