Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

claire_dean is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Hello everyone it’s my second tread of the day

I am Brit and I recently got married to my Eygptian Boyfriend we both couldn’t decide or agree on where to live, so after months and months of discussions we finally made up our minds and are very keen and set on the idea of moving to Gibraltar permanently
Gibraltar is at the south part of Spain and it is under British Territory so I doubt I would feel too homesick because they have british food there yayyyy and best part is the Great Weather
Now the problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start? where do I begin and what am I suppose to do first??? hellpp mee I am just finding it all overwhelming and very stressful at the moment
Who do I need to inform of me moving to Gibraltar and what should I take with me to Gibraltar e.g passport, birth certificate or any other important documents??
How long will it take for my Husband to join me there? Will I be treated like a Gibraltarian or just a guest of the country? Will I have full rights as a Gibraltarian I meant. I’m so confused and need some serious advise so if anyone has any information pleaseeee get in touch
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:22 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Have you been to Gibralter before?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Thank you for replying

No it will be my first time and I really need as much information as possible regarding Gibraltar.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

My father-in-law lives in Gibraltar and I just think it is best place for me and my Husband to live we have family there already
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:51 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I was based in Gib for the best part of a year. Many people who work in Gib actually live in spain. (I lived on a yacht so my accomodation moved).

Getting a job can be tough, it's expensive compared to Spain, litterally a hop skip and a jump away over the airport's runway.

I take it that you've investigated your husbands legailty in both Spain and Gibralter, as realisticallty, when living in Gib, you really need to be able to travel into spain. Else it's like living "disney land" - not in terms of it's entertaining, but it would be like living and working in a fenced community and not being able to leave.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, claire_dean

Please continue the Gibralter details discussion in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638897
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I was based in Gib for the best part of a year. Many people who work in Gib actually live in spain. (I lived on a yacht so my accomodation moved).

Getting a job can be tough, it's expensive compared to Spain, litterally a hop skip and a jump away over the airport's runway.

I take it that you've investigated your husbands legailty in both Spain and Gibralter, as realisticallty, when living in Gib, you really need to be able to travel into spain. Else it's like living "disney land" - not in terms of it's entertaining, but it would be like living and working in a fenced community and not being able to leave.
Hi Trixie

Sorry for the late response ive been busy at work and couldn't manage the time to get on the forum to reply back to everyone's comments.

well regarding a job that isn't a issue for me because I have already sorted out a job for myself but I dont think my husband can live in spain just yet because he needs to become a gibraltarian citizen first right?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Welcome to BE, claire_dean

Please continue the Gibralter details discussion in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638897
Hello

Sorry for the late response ive been busy at work and couldn't manage the time to get on the forum to reply back to everyone's comments.

Thank you for the comment and link
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:17 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there....it rains a lot in Gib you know

I must admit, I've only been twice, but both times inthe middle of the summer & it's absolutely piddled it down

I liked it though - it's like a quaint, quirky verson of a small English town, but with loads of Moroccan & Duty Free shops & tons of history. I agree with the previous poster though - I can imagine it being a bit like being in an enclave if your hubs can't work in Spain.

I really would advise a trip out there to have a look before you spend a lot of money on visas & so on...it's very cheap to fly/stay either there or in La Linea which is over the border...I can imagine it wouldn't be for everyone.

Best of luck with your plans
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire_dean
but I dont think my husband can live in spain just yet because he needs to become a gibraltarian citizen first right?
You mean British Overseas Territory Citizenship, right?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Hi there....it rains a lot in Gib you know

I must admit, I've only been twice, but both times inthe middle of the summer & it's absolutely piddled it down

I liked it though - it's like a quaint, quirky verson of a small English town, but with loads of Moroccan & Duty Free shops & tons of history. I agree with the previous poster though - I can imagine it being a bit like being in an enclave if your hubs can't work in Spain.

I really would advise a trip out there to have a look before you spend a lot of money on visas & so on...it's very cheap to fly/stay either there or in La Linea which is over the border...I can imagine it wouldn't be for everyone.

Best of luck with your plans
Hi

Thank you for the advise I appreciate it damn! can never escape british weather
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You mean British Overseas Territory Citizenship, right?
yes
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire_dean
yes
Once again, can some one combine this post with the one on the Spain Forum?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Once again, can some one combine this post with the one on the Spain Forum?
Its one of the problems of having a welcome forum. I'll close this, but to continue the thread go HERE