Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Uk wanting to move to USA

Uk wanting to move to USA

Old Jul 15th 2012, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

beth.hudson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk wanting to move to USA

Hello, Im new here, I have came on to find as much information as I can to relocate to America. My boyfriend lives in the states and we have had to do two years long distance so far which as you can imagine is not ideal.

I have just qualified as a teacher qualified in the UK, I have spent the last 3 summers with my boyfriend in the USA. The first two summers we worked together at a summer camp. From May till June this year i volunteered in a elementary school in Buffalo which was fantastic experience.

My boyfriend lives in Buffalo and I would love to move over there next August. Can any one offer any advice.

As I have read endless information and am really worried our long distance relationship will have to continue until we are married.

Thanks Beth
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk wanting to move to USA

Welcome to BE and congrats on your impending marriage, because that's your realistic only option

No school, especially in Buffalo is going to waste the money on sponsoring you and you'd need to get state certified and with thousands of teachers who already are, with masters, with years of experience, looking for work, you're got a very hard sell going for any of the work based routes and even if you did get here, it wouldn't be easy finding a teaching job, better chances if you taught maths or a science though.

Good luck and have a read of the wiki here as well as the immigration forums
Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Hi You have only a couple of realistic options. The K1 visa, which is a fiance visa. You must marry within 90 days of entering the US on this visa, or a IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa for if you marry then continue to live apart until your visa is granted. The second option allows you to work almost immediately but the first option allows you to be together quicker.

Of course these are only options if you plan to marry now or in the future. Good luck!