British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   UK to US - Eeek (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/uk-us-eeek-755802/)

Walkerhome Apr 22nd 2012 3:48 pm

UK to US - Eeek

We are a family of 4, my husband and 2 girls. Daughter no 1 is 17 and daughter no 2 is 6. We are just about to embark in a new adventure as my husband has been invited to relocate to Austin, Texas.

Over the next few weeks we should have more to go on but at present we are looking at a move around beginging of August 2012.

We are a very close family and are looking forward to what our new life in Austin will have to offer.

Just a bit daunted myself i guess. :fingerscrossed:

morayeel Apr 23rd 2012 12:17 am

Re: UK to US - Eeek

Hi
Just read your post. My brother who resides in aberdeen flys to Houston, TX quite often with his job. His wife is american and has lived in Scotland for the past 14 years. I have lived in the us for 25 years. I married an american but have my ticket back May 2nd! Going back to the U.K. I think the US is good for certain points, nice weather, lots of places to eat, cheap gas, bigger house and land for your money etc. I am just fed up with it because of the healthcare aspect and if you don't have a decent job, which I dont its very very hard as where I live I have to have a car to get to work, there is no public transporation. I guess its what you make of it. Its very hot and humid in the summer and will take some getting used to the heat, but you will. I have never been to Austin but I work with some people who have family there and it's supposed to be really nice so I hope you enjoy and your kids like it. My grandson who is 8, will be coming back to Scotland. Poor wee boy has always lived in the U.S he loves wildlife, snakes, armadillos, racoons, tree frogs, lizards etc and we have plenty of them here so its going to be a shock for him, but one I hope he can handle..Keep us posted and good luck

Sue Apr 23rd 2012 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10019747)
We are a family of 4, my husband and 2 girls. Daughter no 1 is 17 and daughter no 2 is 6. We are just about to embark in a new adventure as my husband has been invited to relocate to Austin, Texas.

Over the next few weeks we should have more to go on but at present we are looking at a move around beginging of August 2012.

We are a very close family and are looking forward to what our new life in Austin will have to offer.

Just a bit daunted myself i guess. :fingerscrossed:

Hi and welcome to BE!!

Its only natural to feel daunted, we've all been in that boat so now how you feel but you've certainly come to the right place as we have loads of members in Texas, so pop over to the USA forum anytime, and get to know them and pick their brains. :)

dreadsoc Apr 24th 2012 2:28 pm

Hi Walkerhome

Welcome to BE.
I see Sue has given you a direct link to our USA forum where you can chat with plenty of other Brits who have made the move to the US - there are plenty in the Austin area of Texas too so you will be in good company.

It is a big move and you're sure to feel somewhat nervous about it so I am sure you will get some reassurance from other folks in that area - and it always helps to make friends with your fellow expats.

Your 17 year old daughter may want to pop on here and check out our Youth Club forum just for teenagers - you will find it by clciking on the 'forum index' tab on the top left of this page, keep scrolling past the list of countries and the working abroad by professions sections and it os further down the list. I'm sure she will enjoy making friends with other expats in her agegroup.

All the very best with your move

Dread - x

Weeze Apr 24th 2012 9:50 pm

Hi and welcome. There are lots of us in Texas in the US forums. Catch you around.

Rosemary Apr 25th 2012 6:56 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

Walkerhome May 2nd 2012 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10023547)
Hi and welcome. There are lots of us in Texas in the US forums. Catch you around.

Fantastic, my brother is currently living in Richmond, this is certainly helping the daunting move from the UK.

Walkerhome May 2nd 2012 8:37 am

Thank you Sue and Dread - My daughter is going to set up as suggested. Soaking in the USA Forum on a daily basis now.x

rebecca.hartstrom May 2nd 2012 9:51 am

Hi Walkerhome! Hello from a fellow newbie! I myself am planning to move to the UK from Aus. Good luck to you and your family! I'm sure you will find what you need and meet lots of nice people too here in this forum.

Walkerhome May 3rd 2012 4:01 pm

:fingerscrossed:good luck with your move - Still trying to get my head around everything i need to do

rebecca.hartstrom May 11th 2012 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10039756)
:fingerscrossed:good luck with your move - Still trying to get my head around everything i need to do

Same here! Lots of stuff to do and papers to prepare, etc. Good luck to us! :fingerscrossed:

Natalie_S May 11th 2012 5:09 pm

Hello! I have no advice but am in the same boat! My husband and our two 18 month olds will be moving to Dallas, Texas soon from London, UK and we are scared/excited/nervous/anxious/everything really!

Hope all goes well for you and your family x

Walkerhome May 11th 2012 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Natalie_S (Post 10055023)
Hello! I have no advice but am in the same boat! My husband and our two 18 month olds will be moving to Dallas, Texas soon from London, UK and we are scared/excited/nervous/anxious/everything really!

Hope all goes well for you and your family x

:thumbsup:
Oh crumbs 2 18 month olds! My brother is in Houston with his wife, 3 year old and twin girls of 18 months - He loves it ( Once he got his head around the healthcare )

When are you going?

Good luck to you x:starsmile:

Natalie_S May 11th 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10055042)
:thumbsup:
Oh crumbs 2 18 month olds! My brother is in Houston with his wife, 3 year old and twin girls of 18 months - He loves it ( Once he got his head around the healthcare )

When are you going?

Good luck to you x:starsmile:

My husband will be moving there in August, myself and our twins will be joining him early next year at which point they will be just over 2 years old. I can't wait to get there but am so scared, it's such a massive move for us and I've never lived anywhere else but London. Leaving our family in london is going to be the most difficult thing. It seems a good move for us though and we believe our quality of life will only improve there. I'm very excited about it all! X