British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   UK to NYC (hopefully!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/uk-nyc-hopefully-735568/)

Kapeety Oct 13th 2011 2:28 pm

UK to NYC (hopefully!)

Hi all,

I'm a girl from the south of England who's been dating a New Yorker for the past few years. I'm here mainly looking for advice about what our next step should be.

Thanks, and I'll see you on the boards.

Sue Oct 13th 2011 2:35 pm

Re: UK to NYC (hopefully!)

Hi Kapeety,

Welcome to BE. You are going to love our USA forum, it's full of people like yourself who are in the process of joining loved ones in the US, so I'm sure you will pick up lots of tips as they are all great at sharing experiences.

Also check our our Wiki as it jammed pack full of useful info.

Welcome again and I hope that you will be sticking around these virtual halls for many months and years to come :)

Kapeety Oct 13th 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you for the kind welcome, Sue! Also for the useful info and links, because I'm a complete novice at this whole visa malarkey and haven't a clue what I'm getting myself into.

Sue Oct 13th 2011 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kapeety (Post 9672997)
Thank you for the kind welcome, Sue! Also for the useful info and links, because I'm a complete novice at this whole visa malarkey and haven't a clue what I'm getting myself into.

No worries, we've all been in your boat. Take some time to read through the wiki and the posts in the forum and you will be amazed how much stuff you will pick up. Then dive in and post in the forum if you've got questions :)

Rosemary Oct 13th 2011 3:11 pm

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

Kapeety Oct 13th 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks both! I've been browsing the site the best part of this afternoon/evening, and I think my head's about ready to explode from the mass of information it's struggling to take in and understand - I'm apparently not the brightest button in the sewing box. I also am a little discouraged to hear the US is one of the most difficult countries to immigrate to - ah, trust me to end up falling for an American.

Jerseygirl Oct 13th 2011 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kapeety (Post 9673542)
Thanks both! I've been browsing the site the best part of this afternoon/evening, and I think my head's about ready to explode from the mass of information it's struggling to take in and understand - I'm apparently not the brightest button in the sewing box. I also am a little discouraged to hear the US is one of the most difficult countries to immigrate to - ah, trust me to end up falling for an American.

Hello and welcome.

Falling for an American is one of the easiest ways to come to live and work in the US...as long as you marry. If you haven't already found the US Marriage Based Visa forum here is the link. If you wish to go down the marriage route...the members who post in that forum will help you out with your questions. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob, Avanutria, penguinsix and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. :)

Bob Oct 14th 2011 1:29 am

Good luck and welcome to BE...and I hear wedding bells in the near future :lol:

bakedbean Oct 14th 2011 2:40 am

All the best Kapeety and welcome to the board :) Ah... wedding bells... the way to go :wub::wub::p

Kapeety Oct 14th 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks again to everyone. Out of curiosity, I was browsing to see what other ways might be feasible for me to get into the States (a girl has to have a back up plan)... but yes, you're apparently a shrewd bunch who have hit the nail on the proverbial head. Wedding bells aren't a million miles away (although neither are they deafening yet).

kerry79 Oct 15th 2011 5:12 pm

I was in a similar position, only with a Brit boyfriend with a work visa... me, not so much! I came to the US on a 6 month travel visa, then got hitched 5 months in! 7 years on and still going strong! Best of luck to ya!

Kaffy Mintcake Oct 15th 2011 9:40 pm

Hello Kapeety! Welcome to BE and don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around. :)

HotCoffee Oct 18th 2011 1:54 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwww, the story will sound sooooooo cute to your grand-kids! You moved all the way over here for their grand-daddy. Good luck to you both! Love is a wonderful thing :wub: and so is NYC :thumbsup:

Kapeety Oct 18th 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by HotCoffee (Post 9681562)
Awwwwwwwwwwww, the story will sound sooooooo cute to your grand-kids! You moved all the way over here for their grand-daddy. Good luck to you both! Love is a wonderful thing :wub: and so is NYC :thumbsup:

Thank you! However, I do plan to settle into the life of "crazy cat lady" when I hit my mid-60s to 70s, and so my grandkids, if I have any, will probably be avoiding me like the plague.

VickyMcMonkey Oct 18th 2011 7:21 pm

Seeing the phrase "malarkey" just made my day. Thanks! ;)