Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Uk - France, hopefully by the end of the year!

Uk - France, hopefully by the end of the year!

Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Jemberelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk - France, hopefully by the end of the year!

Hi, I am Jemma and I live in North Yorkshire with my husband and crazy dog!

We have been hoping to move to France for a long time and finally, after many months of waiting for an answer from my husband’s boss on whether he would be happy for him to work from France, the answer is yes! Obviously, this doesn’t leave us much time!

We are looking at the Limousin region and, finances permitting, think we have found somewhere but until quarantine is relaxed we can’t even go to view. We are getting a video sent next week so at least we can see more than just photos.

Looking forward to having a good read through the various forum topics and picking up more hints and valuable info.

Thanks for reading!
Jemma
Old Jun 27th 2020, 8:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk - France, hopefully by the end of the year!

Originally Posted by Jemberelli
Hi, I am Jemma and I live in North Yorkshire with my husband and crazy dog!

We have been hoping to move to France for a long time and finally, after many months of waiting for an answer from my husband’s boss on whether he would be happy for him to work from France, the answer is yes! Obviously, this doesn’t leave us much time!

We are looking at the Limousin region and, finances permitting, think we have found somewhere but until quarantine is relaxed we can’t even go to view. We are getting a video sent next week so at least we can see more than just photos.

Looking forward to having a good read through the various forum topics and picking up more hints and valuable info.

Thanks for reading!
Jemma
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the dedicated France forum where you'll get good advice and info, but, before you do, check exactly what your OH's employment status would be. For example, would he be a posted worker or would he work for his employer as a "free-lance"? This difference is important for his heathcare coverage. Just in case his boss isn't aware of his employer's obligations (Social Security Contributions, in particular) if he "posts" his employee to France, take a look at the link given in #20 in the "Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs" at the top of the France forum. If ,on the other hand, your OH would bill the firm for work as an "indépendant", he would have to set up a French business structure and pay S.S. Contributions directly. This in turn might prove to be an issue, as the URSSAF considers it fraudulent for "indépendants" to work just for one employer. As you'll realise, this is a bit of a minefield and decisions should be made with all knowledge of the facts.
When it's physically possible to come over, why not rent a gîte, for example, in the area you're interested in, and take your time visiting properties? Never sign anything on the basis of a video which won't show the surroundings and possible "nuisances" (noise, smells, neighbours, sights, ....).
Anyway, come on the France forum where you'll find loads of info and advice! .
Old Jun 27th 2020, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply! Plenty of food for thought - today’s job is indeed to check out and read upon the employment situation - the idea was that he would continue too be employed and just work from France but we knew it would never be straight forward and all options are open! I run a small business from home here but think it might just be easier to stop until I am over there and look into things again once we are settled...like you say, it’s a mine field!

Thank you also for the warning re buying via video - it really is just to give us an idea about whether we want to go forward with a viewing when possible but I do appreciate the advice.

Looking forward to spending many hours browsing the France part of the forum and making a zillion notes!
Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:11 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply! Plenty of food for thought - today’s job is indeed to check out and read upon the employment situation - the idea was that he would continue too be employed and just work from France but we knew it would never be straight forward and all options are open! I run a small business from home here but think it might just be easier to stop until I am over there and look into things again once we are settled...like you say, it’s a mine field!

Thank you also for the warning re buying via video - it really is just to give us an idea about whether we want to go forward with a viewing when possible but I do appreciate the advice.

Looking forward to spending many hours browsing the France part of the forum and making a zillion notes!

(you'd have to set up a separate business structure if you want to continue to run a business from here, but it would be simpler than for your OH).

Last edited by dmu; Jun 27th 2020 at 9:14 am.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 11:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As a member of the France forum pointed out in a recent thread there, the posted worker status is a European scheme and will not be applicable after Brexit. Not only that, but, even if you arrived here before The Date, a posted worker can't be considered as a "Résident". Sorry to have misled you. Your OH would have to set up a French business structure in order to be able to work. Ask about the options when you post on the France forum!!..
Old Jun 29th 2020, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. He is not being posted, just will be doing his job from France as opposed to England, all being well. Assuming he can, he will be setting up as a micro-entrepeneur or whatever fits best with the rules. Much reading being done!
Old Jun 29th 2020, 2:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for your reply. He is not being posted, just will be doing his job from France as opposed to England, all being well. Assuming he can, he will be setting up as a micro-entrepeneur or whatever fits best with the rules. Much reading being done!
Just to warn you that, if he becomes a Micro-Entrepreneur, he must bill more than one "client", otherwise the URSSAF will accuse him of "travail dissimulé" and both he and his employer would be sanctioned. If he doesn't think he'd have other clients, then he should consult the regional Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie or an Expert-Comptable who'll advise on the least complicated business structure to set up.
HTH
Old Jun 29th 2020, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

That is very helpful! Thank you again!