Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

uk driving licence

uk driving licence

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:20 am
Just Joined

johnbrady54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk driving licence

I came to Canada 5 years ago and surrendered my uk driving licence. Does anyone know if I return to live in the uk what steps I should take to get my uk licence back. Would appreciate comments from people who have done this. Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk driving licence

Originally Posted by johnbrady54
I came to Canada 5 years ago and surrendered my uk driving licence. Does anyone know if I return to live in the uk what steps I should take to get my uk licence back. Would appreciate comments from people who have done this. Thanks
Hi John and welcome to BE

Not quite sure what you mean by surrender, but UK licenses are usually valid until 70 I think - you could try asking in the Moving Back to the UK forums (forum index button is at the top left of the page in the peach button bar)
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:28 am
Just Joined

johnbrady54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi John and welcome to BE

Not quite sure what you mean by surrender, but UK licenses are usually valid until 70 I think - you could try asking in the Moving Back to the UK forums (forum index button is at the top left of the page in the peach button bar)
thanks sparkles.....by surrendered I mean I had to exchange it for a Canadian driving licence
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnbrady54
thanks sparkles.....by surrendered I mean I had to exchange it for a Canadian driving licence
So you still have a valid UK driving license if you are under 70 - Canada can't take it away from you.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
So you still have a valid UK driving license if you are under 70 - Canada can't take it away from you.
They can, and they do! You have to give your driving licence over in Canada, to swap it for a Canadian one - it's then sent back to the DVLA.

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They can, and they do! You have to give your driving licence over in Canada, to swap it for a Canadian one - it's then sent back to the DVLA.

Wow - learn something new - thanks CM
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:01 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but when you return to the UK you simply exchange the Canadian licence back to a UK one by contacting DVLA

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_068659.pdf