British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   UK to AK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/uk-ak-729967/)

MGH.AK Aug 25th 2011 9:53 am

UK to AK

Hello :)

Starting to plan my move to Alaska, and wondering if any other Brits have had any issues in the process.
Have already visited twice and will be going this winter too :)

Sherlock Holmes Aug 25th 2011 10:02 am

Re: UK to AK

Originally Posted by MGH.AK (Post 9580982)

Starting to plan my move to Alaska, and wondering if any other Brits have had any issues in the process.

Hi MGH.AK and welcome to B.E. :)

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Why not pop into the USA forum here now that you've introduced yourself.

Thanks for posting in the Welcome Inn first. :thumbup:

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.

Karrie72 Aug 25th 2011 10:04 am

Hello, I moved from the U.K to Alaska 20 years ago and got my green card there through marriage. Where are you moving to? I lived in Fairbanks for a few years and spent some time in the bush before moving onto the Aleutions. It's an amazing place...

MGH.AK Aug 25th 2011 10:18 am

Hi and thank you for the welcome :)

I'll be moving to Anchorage, just waiting for my youngest to finish school here and leave the nest for Uni. I fell in love with Alaska before even arriving, just flying over the mountains was enough :D
Not daunted be freezing weather, love the snow and have been to enough hot climates to know which I prefer.
:)

Karrie72 Aug 25th 2011 10:35 am

Anchorage is great and has tons of things to do. I remember flying out from the Aleutions for my city fix of shopping, eating out etc. Another plus is the relatively mild climate compared to the interior. It's location means it's also easier for travel, either within the state or outside. The downside is that crime and gang activity has increased over the last decade so you should be a little cautious. Alaska used to be immune to all that stuff but sadly not anymore. Perhaps the presence of the university helps to balance all that out.
Do you have all your correct visa's etc?
Good luck to you!

MGH.AK Aug 25th 2011 11:00 am

Hi Montfan72
Have you seen the news recently re. crime in the UK? :( I was actually in AK when they had the riots recently. It's so rushed over here too, I like the relaxed way of life in AK, and people have better manners.
Plus you never feel earthquakes in the UK :D

Karrie72 Aug 25th 2011 11:33 am

My parents live in London and were caught up in the riots. I'm just saying that drive by shootings occur on an almost daily basis in Anchorage. Its a great place to visit but I personally wouldn't live there. Downtown has loads of transients and can feel unsafe in certain sections. You do have to very wary of which neighborhood you choose as drugs, prostitution and gang activity is now very common. The Anchorage police department has a neighborhood crime map that might be helpful to you. You can also Check out city-data which has a great forum. I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all, just pointing out that there is a great deal of crime in Anchorage. I would even go so far as to suggest living in Homer, Soldotna, Wasilla which are close to Anchorage but smaller and safer.

MGH.AK Aug 25th 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 9581147)
My parents live in London and were caught up in the riots. I'm just saying that drive by shootings occur on an almost daily basis in Anchorage. Its a great place to visit but I personally wouldn't live there. Downtown has loads of transients and can feel unsafe in certain sections. You do have to very wary of which neighborhood you choose as drugs, prostitution and gang activity is now very common. The Anchorage police department has a neighborhood crime map that might be helpful to you. You can also Check out city-data which has a great forum. I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all, just pointing out that there is a great deal of crime in Anchorage. I would even go so far as to suggest living in Homer, Soldotna, Wasilla which are close to Anchorage but smaller and safer.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice :-) I'll check the neighbourhood crime map again. Homer is lovely, been there a couple of times to stay.
I hope your parents are OK, it must have been very scary :-( The government are treating it as a one-off it seems.

Christian Aug 25th 2011 1:03 pm

Hello MGH.AK ,

And welcome ... you're more hearty than I. Been out in whether here where at -40 degrees, where Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same and I'm considerably further south than Alaska ... not my cuppa. However the scenery can be beautiful. Moose tastes like beef, only darker ... (seriously, but you'll find that out soon enough. :D)

Good luck in your move,
Best, Christian :)

Jerseygirl Aug 25th 2011 1:14 pm

Hi there...welcome to BE.

We have at least one member living in Alaska who posts in the US Forums. Do you have your visa sorted out? If not we have a couple of excellent US Immigration forums...the people who post in there will help you with any questions regarding visas and the immigration process.

Please take a few moments to read the stickied threads that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

It's also worthwhile to take a look in the BE Wiki. There's loads of information there about the USA.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob, MsElui and penguinsix.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. :)

MGH.AK Aug 25th 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9581297)
Hi there...welcome to BE.

We have at least one member living in Alaska who posts in the US Forums. Do you have your visa sorted out? If not we have a couple of excellent US Immigration forums...the people who post in there will help you with any questions regarding visas and the immigration process.

Please take a few moments to read the stickied threads that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

It's also worthwhile to take a look in the BE Wiki. There's loads of information there about the USA.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. :)

Thank you Jerseygirl :-)
Have made a note of the extra info, and will look at them. Glad I'm not the only Brit who will be there :-)
Thanks again ☺

Jerseygirl Aug 25th 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by MGH.AK (Post 9581361)
Thank you Jerseygirl :-)
Have made a note of the extra info, and will look at them. Glad I'm not the only Brit who will be there :-)
Thanks again ☺

The username of the BE member I mentioned who lives in Alaska is Jan Alaska. I'm sure she'll help you out with tips and info on life in Alaska.

MGH.AK Aug 25th 2011 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9581383)
The username of the BE member I mentioned who lives in Alaska is Jan Alaska. I'm sure she'll help you out with tips and info on life in Alaska.

Thanks, I was going through all the threads looking for clues (laughing at the same time ☺ )

Rosemary Aug 25th 2011 5:07 pm

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

Jan Alaska Aug 25th 2011 6:21 pm

Hellooooo MGH.AK !!! great to see another Brit moving to the great land :)

I've been here 3 years now and I'm loving it. I'm out in the valley between Wasilla and Palmer which is about an hours commute into Anchortown.

If you need any information or help with your move shout me via private message and I'll do what I can to help.

Jan