Reload this Page >

From U.K to Maine

From U.K to Maine

Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

britishmummy4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile From U.K to Maine

Hello everyone

I have recently moved from England in the U.K to Maine in the U.S.A, having trouble finding British foods and am hoping to locate some familiar favourites, I have searched high and low in Hannaford and Shaws which are the only supermarkets near where we live, just wondering if any other British people living over here have managed to find British foods, such as sausages and normal Baked Beans, the ones I tried here were awful and nothing like the ones back home. Many thanks for any help!

Btw sorry if that is posted in the wrong place, I'm new here so not sure about things.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:01 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From U.K to Maine

Originally Posted by britishmummy4
Hello everyone

I have recently moved from England in the U.K to Maine in the U.S.A, having trouble finding British foods and am hoping to locate some familiar favourites, I have searched high and low in Hannaford and Shaws which are the only supermarkets near where we live, just wondering if any other British people living over here have managed to find British foods, such as sausages and normal Baked Beans, the ones I tried here were awful and nothing like the ones back home. Many thanks for any help!

Btw sorry if that is posted in the wrong place, I'm new here so not sure about things.
Hi there and welcome to B.E.

Your first post is exactly in the right place. Thank you.

Just dropping in to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including the USA can be found here.

The main USA forum is here so pop in and have a read there. A few home comforts can help, I know.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Hello and welcome to BE.

We have many threads in the US forums about British goodies and where to find them. How long have you lived in Maine? I know when we first came here I couldn't find any British stuff...now I can find more or less everything I need...apart from M&S food.

Sherlock Holmes has provided you with the relevant links...so why not come and join us in the US Forums. See you there.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:21 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Hi and welcome to BE, I am so pleased you have found us and joined our little community.

You've certainly come to the right place to pick up some tips on the best places to pick up the odd British goodie.

Do you have a World Market near you? If so check them out cause they stock the odd bit of choccie and baked beans etc.

We've also got a great thread running in the USA forums called UK Foods in the US Share Your Finds so check that one out.

Another good place to have a look at is the links section here: http://britishexpats.com/resources/s...sed/index.html

Welcome again and I look forward to bumping into you in the US forum
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:00 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

britishmummy4 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello to everyone and thank you for your welcomes and helpful tips! I will have a look at the links you have given me
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

So what brought you to Maine?

Quite a few BE members in Maine and I used to live there a while....so where abouts are you?

If you're in the coastal area around Belfast, the co-op there has the best sausages.

If you're up north and near Skowhegan, Knifords (sp?) opposite the camp site, wood cabin, best place for bacon, sausages and stuff like that.

The organic hippy grocery store in Waterville, near the wool shop on the main highstreet, they do good sausages and bacon too.

For snacks, Big Lots and Ocean State are generally good for pretty cheap stuff...also Reny's, great place to find snacks, especially the one in Belfast and Camden, but the one in Madison isn't to bad either.

The Shaws in Freeport has the best Brit selection, especially for sweets and then there's that Brit Shop in Freeport, at the end of the strip, they end to have great end of season sales and best place for crisps, and stuff in general, but a little pricey...meat products are a bit hit of miss.

Beans, get the Heinz vegetarian beans, in the little green cans, cheapest and most similar to back home.

Curry, there's a cracking place on the high street opposite the pub in Bangor that's pretty good.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BritishMummy, I live in Southern Maine just outside of Portland. Over the years I have found goodish substitues for tea, sausages and such.
Hannaford and Shaws both sell a type of breakfast sausage called 'Mailhot', it's locally made and quite delicious and has become my must have for those sausage, baked beans and mashed potatoes cravings. Shaws sell pg tips at ridiculous prices but you can buy them bulk of Amazon too. I second Bob with the Heinz vegetarian beans in the green cans, quite similar, but Shaws also sells Batchelors brand beans too as well as other little sundries in their miniscule Brit section. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you like!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
...but Shaws also sells Batchelors brand beans too as well as other little sundries in their miniscule Brit section. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you like!
The section in the one at Freeport is massive, or it was the last time we went through...

And best baked beans similar to the UK ones, Wegmans own brand, quite the size for less money than the Heinz, but no idea if they're planning on moving to Maine or not, they only just opened one store up here in MA.

Ocean State had 40 PG tips for a couple of bucks last night, so perhaps up in Maine too.

The Christmas Tree shop is another good one, earlier in the summer, Robinsons Barley water was a buck a bottle and sometimes they have Twiglets and other bits and pieces.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The section in the one at Freeport is massive, or it was the last time we went through...

And best baked beans similar to the UK ones, Wegmans own brand, quite the size for less money than the Heinz, but no idea if they're planning on moving to Maine or not, they only just opened one store up here in MA.

Ocean State had 40 PG tips for a couple of bucks last night, so perhaps up in Maine too.

The Christmas Tree shop is another good one, earlier in the summer, Robinsons Barley water was a buck a bottle and sometimes they have Twiglets and other bits and pieces.
Yes you can find some treasures in the food dept. at the Christmas tree shop. Also Freeport does have a good British section, the other stores are smaller sections but doable for tea, hobnobs etc for a greatly exaggerated price however. Freeport also has a cute little British shop which I like to visit at Christmas for overpriced mince pies, M&S Christmas cakes and the like...yes I am a sentimental sucker! My kids love it there though and have developed a taste for slightly out of date Monster Munch crips!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Montfan72
...Freeport also has a cute little British shop which I like to visit at Christmas for overpriced mince pies, M&S Christmas cakes and the like...yes I am a sentimental sucker! My kids love it there though and have developed a taste for slightly out of date Monster Munch crips!
That place is great a day after any holiday as they have massive sales clearing out the stuff
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
That place is great a day after any holiday as they have massive sales clearing out the stuff
Brilliant thanks for the tip! Discounted pickled onion flavor Monster Munch, yay me!