Truth?

Old Jul 31st 2020, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Smoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Truth?

Hi all
I have just retired and my wife soon. We were considering buying in France, though could f questions, and wondered if we could ask a few basic questions, as we were going to drive over for a holiday and look at areas for possible homes etc. Questions may be obvious, but big on our minds. First is healthcare. I have read much but surely better to ask people who have already made the move? As we are both will be retired I heard you need to get an S1 form? What would we need as well as this - so many firms offer a lot but also cost a lot! Second, I heard you may have to pay tax living there - does this apply if on a UK pension and do not intend working in France? Third, cost of living - some have said its crazy, others said you just have to shop around!
Any help would be very welcome
Cheers
David
Old Jul 31st 2020, 10:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truth?

Evening and welcome to BE

Thank you for stopping at the Welcome Inn and introducing yourself. After a brief read of our forum rules (link below), please visit our France forum (also linked below) where our members living in France will be happy to assist you find answers to your many questions.http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/
Old Aug 1st 2020, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Smoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothyman has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Rete
After looking at a number of posts I am beginning to wonder if a move to France, even if only for half the year, may not be sensible - so many costs!!
Cheers
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smoothyman
Many thanks Rete
After looking at a number of posts I am beginning to wonder if a move to France, even if only for half the year, may not be sensible - so many costs!!
Cheers
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
As suggested, post again in the dedicated France forum where folk have been there, done that. Some one might know what will happen after 31st December regarding the S1 for those who haven't settled in France by then. At present you're reimbursed for about 70% of medical expenses and it's recommended to take out a Mutuelle (top-up insurance) which will reimburse the remaining 30% - you tend to consult more, as you get older.... I don't know whether the S1 will exist as from 1st January 2021.
If you're a resident, you have to make annual Tax Declarations of your world-wide income and, at present, the French Tax Office takes your UK taxes into account. There again, I don't know whether the Tax Treaty between France and the UK will continue after Brexit....
As owners of French property you'd have to pay the annual Taxe Foncière (Property Tax) whether it's your principal residence or a holiday home. There is a Taxe d'Habitation (Occupancy Tax), but this is gradually being phased out for residents - some one on the forum with a holiday home will say whether you'd be liable to pay this Taxe d'H on your property if you aren't resident.
Can't compare the cost of living as I haven't lived in the UK for decades!
Another thing to consider is the French Succession and Inheritance Laws which you should be aware of if your nominated heirs aren't blood relatives. Taxe de Succession is applicable on all of the deceased's French property. If you have children from previous relationships, this complicates matters and you should consult the Notaire handling the sale as to the best way of protecting every one's interests.
Sorry to ramble on - my reply was intended to be a welcome message, but I got carried away...
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning.

As this is the Welcome Inn, I am asking that this thread be closed. The proper forum for answers to these questions would be the France forum.

Thank you both for understanding.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks to emu and Rete - a great help, and indeed any other questions will be via the France Forum
Cheers