Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving from UK to Portugal or possibly Spain

Thinking of moving from UK to Portugal or possibly Spain

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:18 am
Just Joined

hip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nice
Smile Thinking of moving from UK to Portugal or possibly Spain

Hi,
I am a 60 year old retired British male citizen who is looking to get away from the cold, dull and dreary UK winters.
I recently separated from my wife and all our friends supported her and cut me off, so a friendly ex-pat community would be a benefit for my social life!
I want to stay in Europe and get good value for money so think that Portugal (or possibly Spain) would be ideal.
I have read that Portuguese is almost impossible to learn (and my language skills are very poor) but that English is widely used on the Algarve (I am thinking of living somewhere in the Faro region).
My partner is Filipino with a Visa for the UK. We may marry soon.
My questions:
1. Is it true that retirees pay no tax for the first 10 years in Portugal? If so, what age is a retiree in Portugal?
2. Would my partner have problems getting a Visa? Would we have to keep renewing it? Would she still need a Visa if we married (on one post someone said he had an Argentinian spouse and had constant Visa problems)?
3. Where is a good place to live where there are lots of British ex-pats and very good healthcare? (And sun! Someone wrote on one post that they had lived in Troia and spent that year in mist).
4. I would really like to live on the coast .... but not in a big tourist area ... is it too much to expect sun/healthcare/coastal house and yet not too many tourists?
5. Ideally I would like to rent (at least initially) but long-term rental seems a problem in tourist areas; any thoughts on this.
Thank you for all the anticipated help and suggestions.
Steve
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving from UK to Portugal or possibly Spain

Originally Posted by hip999
Hi,
I am a 60 year old retired British male citizen who is looking to get away from the cold, dull and dreary UK winters.
I recently separated from my wife and all our friends supported her and cut me off, so a friendly ex-pat community would be a benefit for my social life!
I want to stay in Europe and get good value for money so think that Portugal (or possibly Spain) would be ideal.
I have read that Portuguese is almost impossible to learn (and my language skills are very poor) but that English is widely used on the Algarve (I am thinking of living somewhere in the Faro region).
My partner is Filipino with a Visa for the UK. We may marry soon.
My questions:
1. Is it true that retirees pay no tax for the first 10 years in Portugal? If so, what age is a retiree in Portugal?
2. Would my partner have problems getting a Visa? Would we have to keep renewing it? Would she still need a Visa if we married (on one post someone said he had an Argentinian spouse and had constant Visa problems)?
3. Where is a good place to live where there are lots of British ex-pats and very good healthcare? (And sun! Someone wrote on one post that they had lived in Troia and spent that year in mist).
4. I would really like to live on the coast .... but not in a big tourist area ... is it too much to expect sun/healthcare/coastal house and yet not too many tourists?
5. Ideally I would like to rent (at least initially) but long-term rental seems a problem in tourist areas; any thoughts on this.
Thank you for all the anticipated help and suggestions.
Steve

Hello Steve...welcome to BE.

This is the link to our General Europe forum. You will see that we have separate forums for Portugal and Spain. Please could you repost your questions in the appropriate forum...you will get a much better response from the people who are actually living in Portugal or Spain?

We have a team of concierges who will help you find your way around the forums if you get a little lost. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Complaints or problems should be addressed to a moderator...Mitzyboy is the mod for the Europe forums but if he's not around any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.