Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Dubai!

Thinking of moving to Dubai!

Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Lipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really niceLipstick girl is just really nice
Default Thinking of moving to Dubai!

Hi! I've got a possible job offer in Dubai which means I will need to move my life to the middle east. Have spent a limited amount of time in the country so far and like it but a huge change from where I am now and will entail me leaving friends and family. A good opportunity for me, but just a bit scarey as will be on my own and a single girl in a muslim community. All the expats I have met so far seem really welcoming, which is nice. Are my nerves just to be expected. Is it easy enough to make friends and get customised to the life in Dubai? Would welcome feedback from anyone that's been in the same position that has move there recently?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Dubai!

Originally Posted by Lipstick girl
Hi! I've got a possible job offer in Dubai which means I will need to move my life to the middle east. Have spent a limited amount of time in the country so far and like it but a huge change from where I am now and will entail me leaving friends and family. A good opportunity for me, but just a bit scarey as will be on my own and a single girl in a muslim community. All the expats I have met so far seem really welcoming, which is nice. Are my nerves just to be expected. Is it easy enough to make friends and get customised to the life in Dubai? Would welcome feedback from anyone that's been in the same position that has move there recently?
Hi and welcome to BE, you need to come and join the rest of us in the Middle East section. Course it is normal to be feeling a bit anxious but I am sure you will be just fine. What I will say is make sure you have a good package all set up as it is not the cheapest place to live. If you have a good housing allowance and benefits then I am sure you will be fine.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Last edited by Blue Cat; Jan 12th 2011 at 11:30 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lipstick Girl,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy being part of our community. Get yourself over the Middle East forum and say hi and if you get stuck on any of the bits and bobs on the site please give myself, a Moderator or Concierge a shout and we can help. You've already meet Blue Cat (she's fab) and she's the Concierge for the Middle East forum

Welcome again!!!

Sue
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lipstick girl

Hi there and welcome aboard. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Don't fret about being on your own...you'll soon have many BE friends in Dubai. They're a friendly crowd and often have get togethers. There is also an Introduction thread in the Sand Pit...why don't you pop over there and introduce yourself?

Blue Cat has already introduced herself...please contact her if you need any help finding your way around the site.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the ME forums are Bob, NorthernLad and rowell.

Please shout out if you need any help...there's usually someone around 24/7 to help out.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!

Plenty of good info on the wiki, and mostly a good bunch in the forums to help you out
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, welcome. Dubai is a good place. I've not lived there but visited a number of times, so cannot help with your question. I'm pretty sure though that you'll find some girlie expat groups around in Dubai - but better you put a posting in the Middle East section. All the best