British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Tax in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/tax-spain-854608/)

edimax Mar 16th 2015 9:03 am

Tax in Spain

Need some advice on the income tax situation in Spain.
I registered with the HMRC as an absent landlord so I could continue to pay my taxes in the UK however since I arrived I have been told by A Gestoria that To get medical cover in Spain I have to register for "Residencia" status and be liable for Spanish income tax.
Anybody shed some light on this please
Regards
Eddie

mikelincs Mar 16th 2015 9:41 am

Re: Tax in Spain

Originally Posted by edimax (Post 11593306)
Need some advice on the income tax situation in Spain.
I registered with the HMRC as an absent landlord so I could continue to pay my taxes in the UK however since I arrived I have been told by A Gestoria that To get medical cover in Spain I have to register for "Residencia" status and be liable for Spanish income tax.
Anybody shed some light on this please
Regards
Eddie

Welcome to BE.
Your question would be better asked in the Spain forum as this one is just for introductions.

Spain - British Expats

Unless you are a UK state pension receiver, then you will need to have private medical nsurance in Spain, and yes, after you have been in Spain for more than 183 days you are classed as tax resident, that doesn't mean having residencia, just living in Spain for that time. Yes, you will have to pay tax in Spain on all your worldwide earnings, however there is a tax treaty with the UK that does mean you will not pay twice. a gestoria can do all that for you

To get free Spanish healthcare you either have to be of UK state pension age, or pay into the Spanish system either by getting a contracted job or registering as 'autonomo' self employed, however that does cost as you will have to pay that money monthly. Private health cover is considerably cheaper in Spain that it is in the UK.

edimax Mar 16th 2015 11:39 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11593329)
Welcome to BE.
Your question would be better asked in the Spain forum as this one is just for introductions.

Spain - British Expats

Unless you are a UK state pension receiver, then you will need to have private medical nsurance in Spain, and yes, after you have been in Spain for more than 183 days you are classed as tax resident, that doesn't mean having residencia, just living in Spain for that time. Yes, you will have to pay tax in Spain on all your worldwide earnings, however there is a tax treaty with the UK that does mean you will not pay twice. a gestoria can do all that for you

To get free Spanish healthcare you either have to be of UK state pension age, or pay into the Spanish system either by getting a contracted job or registering as 'autonomo' self employed, however that does cost as you will have to pay that money monthly. Private health cover is considerably cheaper in Spain that it is in the UK.

Thanks Mike I keep getting differing advice.I am an OAP what is the process for registering for health care?really appreciate your help

Jerseygirl Mar 16th 2015 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by edimax (Post 11593448)
Thanks Mike I keep getting differing advice.I am an OAP what is the process for registering for health care?really appreciate your help

Welcome to BE.

Please post questions in the Spain forum using the link Mike provided. This forum is for new members to introduce themselves...therefore your questions will not get many views from people who have the experience to answer your questions. Thanks. :)