Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Southern England to southern New England...maybe?

Southern England to southern New England...maybe?

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:39 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Southern England to southern New England...maybe?

Hi BE! Glad to have found this forum & hoping to become a part of it. The husband & I are originally American but haven't lived there for a looong time. Due to his job, we've lived several places in Europe & Asia, & we spent the last 15 years happily settled in southern England, which is where our own kids grew up.

Now the husband is about to retire from the UK job & we're considering where to go. After crunching the numbers, we think we can't really afford to stay where we are, unfortunately. But America is such a foreign country to us that we're struggling to envision ourselves there, even though our families (including one of our children) are living in southern New England. We're somewhat considering Europe too--we've got UK/EU citizenship--but basically we're a bit at sea right now. Too much choice, maybe, & nothing seems exactly right for us.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern England to southern New England...maybe?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hi BE! Glad to have found this forum & hoping to become a part of it. The husband & I are originally American but haven't lived there for a looong time. Due to his job, we've lived several places in Europe & Asia, & we spent the last 15 years happily settled in southern England, which is where our own kids grew up.

Now the husband is about to retire from the UK job & we're considering where to go. After crunching the numbers, we think we can't really afford to stay where we are, unfortunately. But America is such a foreign country to us that we're struggling to envision ourselves there, even though our families (including one of our children) are living in southern New England. We're somewhat considering Europe too--we've got UK/EU citizenship--but basically we're a bit at sea right now. Too much choice, maybe, & nothing seems exactly right for us.
Hi there and welcome to BE.

As we face retirement many of us are faced with a similar problem...but most of us want to go in the opposite direction...back to the UK.

Some of the members who post in the US Forums live in New England...they will help answer any questions you may have about the area.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Alternatively you may wish to take a look at the Europe forums. Mitzyboy is the mod for the Europe forums but if he's not around any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:09 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome and the helpful pointers on how to negotiate the site, Jerseygirl!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As we face retirement many of us are faced with a similar problem...but most of us want to go in the opposite direction...back to the UK.
Yes, I guess this is why we're feeling so at sea. After around 25 years of living away from the States, we don't feel very American any more. It's become more of a foreign country to us than the UK certainly. The USA we left in the 1980's just doesn't exist anywhere but in our memories. The one thing the husband & I agree on is that we may well not fit there any more, but family obligations seem to be obliging us to try.

The husband predicts that we'll try out the USA for 5 years or so, then find ourselves pulling out our maroon passports to come back to the UK or Europe. So maybe I'll head over to the US Forums & start reading up on what we may be facing . . . .
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome and the helpful pointers on how to negotiate the site, Jerseygirl!

Yes, I guess this is why we're feeling so at sea. After around 25 years of living away from the States, we don't feel very American any more. It's become more of a foreign country to us than the UK certainly. The USA we left in the 1980's just doesn't exist anywhere but in our memories. The one thing the husband & I agree on is that we may well not fit there any more, but family obligations seem to be obliging us to try.

The husband predicts that we'll try out the USA for 5 years or so, then find ourselves pulling out our maroon passports to come back to the UK or Europe. So maybe I'll head over to the US Forums & start reading up on what we may be facing . . . .
We came to the US 15 years ago and feel the UK is our home but we know if we move back there we will miss the US. I call it the curse of the expats.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:49 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to BE I'm sure you'll find the forum useful in helping you with your difficult decision .....have you considered taking a 'gap year' maybe travelling around europe before you decide where to settle?? or maybe looking at a less expensive area in the UK?? ( eg.Wales)...... whatever....best wishes & enjoy!
B
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:33 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We came to the US 15 years ago and feel the UK is our home but we know if we move back there we will miss the US. I call it the curse of the expats.
Yes, absolutely! 'Curse' is a good word for it.

Being an expat is such a double-edged sword. At first you feel so priviledged to be able to step out of your native country & experience another culture--seems such an adventure! But after a while the new place changes you, & then you're not quite able to go "home" the way you expect . . .as both you & "home" have changed in the meantime.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:00 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi & welcome to BE I'm sure you'll find the forum useful in helping you with your difficult decision .....have you considered taking a 'gap year' maybe travelling around europe before you decide where to settle?? or maybe looking at a less expensive area in the UK?? ( eg.Wales)...... whatever....best wishes & enjoy!
B
Thanks for the welcome, B!

Yes, we actually are planning a summer car-camping trip through Europe immediately after the husband retires from the UK job. We lived in France for a while years ago (in those Dark Ages before the internet), so we more-or-less speak French & we always wondered if we'd end up back there someday. And the husband wants to look around Spain as well, though I'm nervous about trying to learn yet another language (I'm not sure my less-than-nimble brain can manage it). We might even check out Italy if our car can make it that far.

As for looking at less-expensive places in the UK--yes, I have pushed for this. I quite like Scotland myself. But the husband has serious doubts that we'd thrive. He feels we (or maybe it's just he) do need to be within reach of London, being culture-vulture types fatally addicted to different types of music, books, big libraries, etc.

Joining up here seemed a good first step in exploring all the options a little bit more systematically. You've even got a "Returning to the UK" board here.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:49 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi WEBlu

Welcome to BE.
It seems you have a real dilemma here.

You know there are some less expensive areas in the South of England too, or maybe downsize property once the nest has been flown?

Just a suggestion - but you will know in your hearts what is right for you when the time comes.

You have certainly come to the right place to find out everything you need to know before you make any move.

Dread - x
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:25 pm
Under blue skies

Thanks for the welcome, Dread!

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
You know there are some less expensive areas in the South of England too, or maybe downsize property once the nest has been flown?
Just a suggestion - but you will know in your hearts what is right for you when the time comes.
Hmmm, we've done quite a bit of looking at properties around outer London over the years. Because it's the commuter belt we haven't found many places that fit our budget.

We did find a fixer-upper 4 years ago that we were very tempted to buy. It was the ONLY property we'd ever found that was possible for us, but it needed an awful lot of work, was in fact almost derelict. We hesitated, though--afraid of all that work--then the housing market crashed. Haha, we're *still* wiping sweat off off our brows when we remember how we dodged that bullet.

You have certainly come to the right place to find out everything you need to know before you make any move.
That's for sure. This site is just huge, with an amazing amount of info. I'm still dipping in & out of the various boards, getting distracted by the various conversations & interchanges. Fascinating....
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:48 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome, Dread!

Hmmm, we've done quite a bit of looking at properties around outer London over the years. Because it's the commuter belt we haven't found many places that fit our budget.

We did find a fixer-upper 4 years ago that we were very tempted to buy. It was the ONLY property we'd ever found that was possible for us, but it needed an awful lot of work, was in fact almost derelict. We hesitated, though--afraid of all that work--then the housing market crashed. Haha, we're *still* wiping sweat off off our brows when we remember how we dodged that bullet.

That's for sure. This site is just huge, with an amazing amount of info. I'm still dipping in & out of the various boards, getting distracted by the various conversations & interchanges. Fascinating....
Do you need to be close to thee capital?

Some fabulous places at much cheaper prices further south - Hampshire, Sussex, Wiltshire, even Kent?

Just a suggestion as you seem to really want to remain in the UK.

Dread - x
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:54 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

move ooooop nawf like!

Somewhere like Formby or St annes..... full of old people........
cheap as chips and not far from Ringway to catch a quick flight to the states to see the kids.

as you'll be retiring you can take up many of the top northern pastimes like ferret keeping, or pigeon fancying, wearing flat caps and saying EEE by Gum a lot.

give it a try.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
move ooooop nawf like!

cheap as chips and not far from Ringway to catch a quick flight to the states to see the kids.

as you'll be retiring you can take up many of the top northern pastimes like ferret keeping, or pigeon fancying, wearing flat caps and saying EEE by Gum a lot.

give it a try.

But them likes London innit?
Soverners right!!

xxxx
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:02 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Manc
move ooooop nawf like!

Heh, IMO it could actually suit me!! I adore any & all animals, & I quite like flat caps too! :Thumbs Up: And it's true you can get a LOT of house for your money up in that area.

But the husband is in love with London. And hates snow. PLUS we have an adult child who is similarly smitten with the capital, & who's now settled there with a partner & NO intention of ever moving anywhere else. So I fear that's going to keep us from going too far nawf.

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
But them likes London innit?
Soverners right!!
That's us!