Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Sooo confused! Thinking about Australia

Sooo confused! Thinking about Australia

Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

JulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really nice
Cool Sooo confused! Thinking about Australia

Hey!
Well, I always said that I would go back to Oz after visiting 11 years ago...half the reason I decided to do my nursing is because I knew it would open doors!
I am SOOO confused though....about visas and the like..I honestly and possibly naively thought that on the skilled migration list, the cost of visas was somehow waivered....you can see HOW clueless I am!
From the looks of it, I would need over 10 thousand dollars to emmigrate with my partner (who is also on the skilled occupation list)..that's just not going to happen!
I seem to have read so far, a lot more negative posts on here than positive ones...but then in my experience, that is quite common for this sort of forum. None the less, I know Australia is the right decision for me and life is too short to not give it a shot, quite frankly life in the UK could not be more depressing right now and it's time to go!
ANY help would be awesome!
Thanks in advance
Jules
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sooo confused!

Hi Jules,

Maybe, as you seem to be finding this all a bit daunting, that you are more focused on the negative posts, rather than the positive ones, because truly we have many, many members who have moved to Australia and are leading happy, productive lives. Many of whom started off with next to nothing.

I suppose it just depends on how adventurous one is, or how big someone's comfort level reaches. Regardless you've come to the right place to chat with others who have moved to Australia, and others, like yourself who are contemplating the move.

So a BIG welcome to BE. Dive in and post a question in the Aus forum and start getting to know everyone
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:03 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sooo confused! Thinking about Australia

Hi Jules

Welcome to BE

There are some lovely people who post in the Australia forums, there are some negative posts but that offers balance, Australia isn’t everyone’s paradise it’s just another country.

Our Immigration and visa forum is really helpful for any queries you may have about visas, you can find it here.

If there is anything else I can help you with feel free to give me a shout, you can find my contact details here.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jules...welcome to BE. The people who frequent the Australia forums will give you help and advice...just open a new thread and start asking questions.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

JulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really nice

Hey again,
thanx for your replies. I wasn't suggesting that the whole site is negative, just the posts I have already read about nursing out there are so down on the process and there has been limited balance BUT! I am more than determined to start our new life out there so a little thing like that won't be keeping me down! Thanks for your replies though
Jules x
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesMac
Hey again,
thanx for your replies. I wasn't suggesting that the whole site is negative, just the posts I have already read about nursing out there are so down on the process and there has been limited balance BUT! I am more than determined to start our new life out there so a little thing like that won't be keeping me down! Thanks for your replies though
Jules x
Oh I know, no worries. And you are doing the right thing by looking at the positives and negatives, as it gives you a more rounded outlook on it all and helps prepare you for the good and the bad. Too many go into things like this with rose-tinted specs on, so you are preparing well
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey again,
Jules x
Hey Jules...don't forget for every person who moans there are probably dozens enjoying themselves. They are enjoying their new lives and don't have time to post on internet forums.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

JerseyGirl that was my thoughts exactly!!!! I've been a member of forums before from living away from the UK and was very much the person who hated it and sought like minded people online if that makes sense....those who loved it..were way too busy!!! x
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

JerseyGirl that was my thoughts exactly!!!! I've been a member of forums before from living away from the UK and was very much the person who hated it and sought like minded people online if that makes sense....those who loved it..were way too busy!!! x
Absolutely. It also works the other way...when some of our long term members move back to the UK they no longer feel the need to post on here regularly.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Jules

Emigrating to a new country is daunting but just work your way through it gradually & you'll get there. It is very easy to get sucked into the negative posts but as others have said, there are plenty of people out there who will be having a great experience but are too busy living to post how happy they are.

If you don't give it a go, you will never know . Any chance you could take a year's career break from your current job? Then if it's not for you, then you have a job to return to.....just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Welcome to BE Jules

If you don't give it a go, you will never know .
Oh absolutely correct. We are on this planet only a short time so got to make the most of life. And if you make a mistake, pick the wrong country for you, you can always move on somewhere else. That's what we did - and I've come across so many people that change countries a couple of times before they get it right.

Best of luck with your decision making.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Hey!
Well, I always said that I would go back to Oz after visiting 11 years ago...half the reason I decided to do my nursing is because I knew it would open doors!
I am SOOO confused though....about visas and the like..I honestly and possibly naively thought that on the skilled migration list, the cost of visas was somehow waivered....you can see HOW clueless I am!
From the looks of it, I would need over 10 thousand dollars to emmigrate with my partner (who is also on the skilled occupation list)..that's just not going to happen!
I seem to have read so far, a lot more negative posts on here than positive ones...but then in my experience, that is quite common for this sort of forum. None the less, I know Australia is the right decision for me and life is too short to not give it a shot, quite frankly life in the UK could not be more depressing right now and it's time to go!
ANY help would be awesome!
Thanks in advance
Jules

Hi Jules,

I love Australia and have been living here for nearly 7 years (Brisbane), it is the best place in the world to bring up children (in my opinion) and the opportunities they have are amazing. The weather (apart from this year ) is great nearly all year round and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

However, it is a very expensive place to live, please don't be put off but just be aware that you will need somewhere to live and that doesn't come cheap, you will need a car and again there are not many cheap cars, food is expensive if fact since the floods everything is expensive in qld,

Just come out with your eyes wide open, there is tons of info on what you would need to pay out on rentals etc so just research, research and research.... honestly when earning the dollar and spending the dollar it really doesn't go very far... Good luck and go for it.