Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Is son eligible for a british passport

Is son eligible for a british passport

Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Hallform is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is son eligible for a british passport

I need a hand, can anyone advise if My son (over 21) is able to apply for a british passport. I am a british subject & passport holder(father) my partner is Australian and we are not married my son was born in June 1987. If he can apply please point me at the correct paper trail.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:46 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is son eligible for a british passport

found this:
If you were born after 31 December 1982
Being born in the UK does not automatically give you British citizenship.
If you were born after 31 December 1982, you will be a British citizen if either your mother or father* was either:
a British citizen when you were born
'settled' in the UK when you were born
In most cases you will be a British citizen if your mother or father* was born or naturalised in the UK.
There are other situations in which a mother or father’s* British nationality can pass to their children born abroad. Please call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 if you think this may apply to you.
*A note on fathers
Until July 2006, unmarried British fathers could not pass on their British nationality.
If you were born before then, your father’s British nationality will pass to you only if he was married to your mother. It does not matter if they were married before or after you were born.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174145
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for that, son was born outside UK & as we were not married, is there any other procees where he can apply for a British passport.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:07 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

How I read that was that because he was born in 1987 he can apply because you yourself are a British Citizen. ?

Maybe the site has a form to download, have a look round the site given, as its the Government and I'm sure you will find your answer.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hallform
I need a hand, can anyone advise if My son (over 21) is able to apply for a british passport. I am a british subject & passport holder(father) my partner is Australian and we are not married my son was born in June 1987. If he can apply please point me at the correct paper trail.
Hi Hallform,

Welcome to BE.

We have an excellent wiki page on this subject here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent

Also check out some of the threads in the Moving Back to the UK forum here as this subject comes up quite often in that section.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome, Sue, and for the info. I have read the wiki page and also reviewed some of the moving back to the UK threads. I think my son is eligible as he should qualify under "British Citizen by decent", if so he should be able to apply for a passport. Cheers.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hallform
Thanks for the welcome, Sue, and for the info. I have read the wiki page and also reviewed some of the moving back to the UK threads. I think my son is eligible as he should qualify under "British Citizen by decent", if so he should be able to apply for a passport. Cheers.
Take a look at this section from the UK Border Agency website; especially the last sentence.

If you were born outside the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983

This section also applies to you if you were born outside a qualifying territory on or after 21 May 2002 and had a parent who was a British citizen.

Whether or not you are a British citizen depends on the type of citizenship your parents had. This may be British citizenship by descent or otherwise than by descent.

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You might like to read this too for options:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...arried_Fathers
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary