British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Settling in to Auckland life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/settling-auckland-life-779542/)

sarahmclrn Dec 3rd 2012 10:45 pm

Settling in to Auckland life

Hi - we arrived in NZ in August and are living in Howick area of Auckland. We are a fmily of four: Mum, dad and two girls who are 4 and 8 - we are settling in quite well I think although homesickness has been creeping i which I guess is normal after the initial excitement at just being here. :) Wondered if there are any families here who are like us?

Sherlock Holmes Dec 4th 2012 12:23 am

Re: Settling in to Auckland life

HI there and welcome to the forum :)

I see that you've found your way into the NZ forum so I'll leave you with it.

Homesickness can be a real pain. Even if you hate the place that you left (not saying that you do) there is a part of it that will always be with you. Homesickness usually passes with time. :fingerscrossed:

Enjoy B.E.

Deley Dec 4th 2012 2:55 am

Hi,
We are also new to Howick, been here since September, we are a family of 4, mum dad and two boys aged 8 and 9. Guess we are in a similar situation. Would be good to meet up and share experiences so far.

Sherlock Holmes Dec 4th 2012 3:26 am

Originally Posted by sarahmclrn (Post 10414419)
Hi - we arrived in NZ in August and are living in Howick area of Auckland. We are a fmily of four: Mum, dad and two girls who are 4 and 8 - we are settling in quite well I think although homesickness has been creeping i which I guess is normal after the initial excitement at just being here. :) Wondered if there are any families here who are like us?

Originally Posted by Deley (Post 10414663)
Hi,
We are also new to Howick, been here since September, we are a family of 4, mum dad and two boys aged 8 and 9. Guess we are in a similar situation. Would be good to meet up and share experiences so far.

Hi Deley and welcome to the forum. :)

The main NZ foru is here.

Have a look around and say hello.

Enjoy B.E.:)

sarahmclrn Dec 4th 2012 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Deley (Post 10414663)
Hi,

That would be great - what school are your boys at? We have our eldestat Owairoa. It is reassuring to know we are not alone!!! We like it here a lot - but I guess the homesickness was always going to creep in - the hardest thing at the moment is when we speak to people at home and it is all so festive but it doesnt seem right that it is nearly christmas here!!:)

newkiwi Dec 4th 2012 4:28 am

Originally Posted by sarahmclrn (Post 10414419)

from my experience the period 6-12 months is the hardest, you have been in a new country long enough for the excitement to wear off but not there long enough to have made good friends etc.

so be prepared for a dip, but dont worry about it, its normal.

Deley Dec 4th 2012 6:42 am

Hi Sarahmclrn,
We live very close to Owairoa but my boys go to Shelly Park. It is good to know that you are not on your own, I am also feeling the home sickness and its not made any easier by Christmas, I know how you feel :unsure:

I will send you an expats private message with my details so we can arrange to meet up.

:thumbsup:

Rosemary Dec 4th 2012 3:40 pm

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary