British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   On the road to NJ and quite confused. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/road-nj-quite-confused-730310/)

nocturnal_tick Aug 28th 2011 7:13 pm

On the road to NJ and quite confused.

Hello Ladies and Gents,

My name is Daniel and I am a relatively new teacher who is looking to move, hopefully permanently, to teach in NJ. I've been looking for a while to move over since I have several close friends from there and the place has really become a home from home. But I still feel relatively clueless about the whole affair of applying and finding employment. I hope you are all as helpful as you seem. :)

Thanks and hope to chat to many of you soon

Elvira Aug 28th 2011 7:19 pm

Re: On the road to NJ and quite confused.

Originally Posted by nocturnal_tick (Post 9586854)
Hello Ladies and Gents,

My name is Daniel and I am a relatively new teacher who is looking to move, hopefully permanently, to teach in NJ. I've been looking for a while to move over since I have several close friends from there and the place has really become a home from home. But I still feel relatively clueless about the whole affair of applying and finding employment. I hope you are all as helpful as you seem. :)

http://www.match.com/

Jerseygirl Aug 28th 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by nocturnal_tick (Post 9586854)
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Hello Daniel from a wet and windy New Jersey. Welcome to BE.

I don't know whether you are aware but the US is a very difficult country to move to. I'm sure you must be aware how bad the US economy is at present...teachers are being laid off here. Please take a read through this if you fit into any of the categories you may have a chance of making the US your home. Keep in mind for every vacancy that arises...there are dozens if not hundreds of US citizens applying for that job. USC can start work immediately with little or no cost to the employer. To employ a person from a foreign country will cost the employer thousands of dollars and they will have to wait months before that person can work in the US. So ask yourself...why would an US employer employ me?

I think it would be best if you post your questions in the US Immigration and Visas forum...you will get a lot of good advice from the regulars who post in there. General questions about life in the US should be posted in the US Forum. The Trailer Park is for general chit chat.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information. Also please read through any stickied threads that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. :)

nocturnal_tick Aug 28th 2011 7:32 pm

Thank you for all the helpful links and advice Jerseygirl. :)

I have heard a lot about the job trouble at the moment (one of my friends is an ex-teacher). I will have a look through everything you posted and hopefully find some inspiration.

See you around the boards

Jerseygirl Aug 28th 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by nocturnal_tick (Post 9586876)
Thank you for all the helpful links and advice Jerseygirl. :)

I have heard a lot about the job trouble at the moment (one of my friends is an ex-teacher). I will have a look through everything you posted and hopefully find some inspiration.

See you around the boards

You could try private schools. The 2 schools my daughter went to used to scour the world for teachers...but that was before the economy tanked.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 28th 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Daniel and welcome to BE! JG is right that this is an incredibly tough economy in which to find employment right now. I'll give you an example ... when my company recently posted a HR assistant job they received over 900 applications. I realize that isn't teaching, but it gives you an idea. Current employees are swamped in workload because there is a fear that the economy will get worse before getting better (thus employers are reluctant to hire).

However, that is not to say that you should give up on your dream. Just know that now isn't the easiest time for it to come to fruition.

That being said, I hope you stick around and please don't hesitate to ask if we can help you find your way around on the boards. Good luck!

dreadsoc Aug 28th 2011 10:16 pm

Hi Daniel

Welcome to BE.
I see Jerseygirl has given you the right links for all think USA.
You may wish to check out the 'Working abroad by profession' sectioon of BE which has a forum especially for teachers. There are likely some posting on that forum who can give you a very accurate picture of how things currently are.
You will find the teaching forum by clicking on the forum index button at the top of this page. Scroll down past the list of countires and it is in the next section. Double click on 'teaching' and you're in.

Good luck with your plans

Dread - x

Christian Aug 29th 2011 1:01 am

Hello and welcome Daniel,

Jerseygirl seems to have you well set up for links and contacts here, and so I'll simply bid you
greetings from Ontario Canada.

Best,
Christian :)

Elvira Aug 29th 2011 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9586881)
You could try private schools. The 2 schools my daughter went to used to scour the world for teachers...but that was before the economy tanked.

I still think the path I suggested is the most realistic... :sneaky:

Jerseygirl Aug 29th 2011 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9587306)

:D

nocturnal_tick Aug 29th 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9587306)

The scary thing is, you're probably right. :P

Bob Aug 29th 2011 5:51 pm

Welcome to BE and good luck....though the match link probably really is your best bet if you're only a newly qualified teacher, unless you've got a phd under your belt and will teach uni kind of level :)

nocturnal_tick Aug 29th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9588569)
Welcome to BE and good luck....though the match link probably really is your best bet if you're only a newly qualified teacher, unless you've got a phd under your belt and will teach uni kind of level :)

Well, the thing is there is a certain someone over there that means that kind of thing is a little possibility. But it's all catch-22. To make that work I need something stable over there, and to have that I'd need to get a visa, and to get a visa...:frown:

Bob Aug 29th 2011 9:19 pm

Get the certain someone to the UK? Get experience?

Either way, it'll not be a quick path unfortunately, so good luck :)

nocturnal_tick Aug 29th 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9588892)
Get the certain someone to the UK? Get experience?

Either way, it'll not be a quick path unfortunately, so good luck :)

Things are never that simple. :p But thanks for the good thoughts!