Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Returning from Asia

Returning from Asia

Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of
Default Returning from Asia

Just saying Hi.

I've been away from the UK since 2001, mostly lived in Thailand, but have worked in Hong Kong and Tokyo as well in that time.

Moving back to the UK next month, mainly to give my kids the 3 years EU residency they require to be eligible for student loans and stuff. I joined to ask a question that nobody's answered (yet) about car insurance, that I'll probably end up answering myself when I call AXA once I'm back.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning from Asia

Originally Posted by bkk_mike
Just saying Hi.

I've been away from the UK since 2001, mostly lived in Thailand, but have worked in Hong Kong and Tokyo as well in that time.

Moving back to the UK next month, mainly to give my kids the 3 years EU residency they require to be eligible for student loans and stuff. I joined to ask a question that nobody's answered (yet) about car insurance, that I'll probably end up answering myself when I call AXA once I'm back.
Hi Mike

I can see you've been finding your way around. As with all questions, sometimes people don't know the answer. If there is nothing coming up on search, it may be wise to wait until you can speak to someone directly.

I had a quick search for your question - I would have thought to have your thai experience count, you would have had to be at least a named driver on your wifes policy but that's just a guess.

Good luck anyway
Old Oct 20th 2013, 12:43 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike. Just read your post too. As you say, in Thailand it's the car not the driver so I doubt it will count for anything with a UK insurer and, if it's like the policy I had in Thailand, it will be all in Thai anyway.

Anyway...hope the move back to ol Blighty works out fine.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

Yes - my only chance might be with AXA, since they are the insurer in Thailand.

(No such thing as named drivers in Thailand)
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move back, and with your wife's visa. Are your kids UK citizens? That'll make it easier at least if so.

Hope you can figure out the car insurance.

Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary