British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Retirement Deliberations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/retirement-deliberations-923886/)

BazzaCH Apr 6th 2019 1:32 am

Retirement Deliberations

Hi All, just joined and will be looking for advice on retirement destinations with separate posts. I am originally from Zimbabwe, lived in the UK for 20 years before coming to China on expat assignment for last 4 years. look forward to chatting.

Pulaski Apr 6th 2019 1:41 am

Re: Retirement Deliberations

Hi Bazza, welcome to BE! :)

Do you have any thoughts as to where you want to retire to - I am assuming you aren't going to retire in China.

BTW please take a moment to review the site rules linked in the menu bar above.

BazzaCH Apr 7th 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome. My wife and I are thinking of:
England (Derbyshire) - where we lived for 20 years and where our grown up daughters are still based.
Zimbabwe - always be home for me, despite whats happened to it.
New Zealand - where my wife's family have emmigrated to.
Malaysia - selfishly enjoy the Asian lifestyle that we have grown accustomed to and take advantage of MM2H programme.

BTW - I want to follow the rules of this site. Am I supposed to send out a separate post that is more specific? Appreciate your guidance :)

Pulaski Apr 7th 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BazzaCH (Post 12667107)
..... BTW - I want to follow the rules of this site. Am I supposed to send out a separate post that is more specific? Appreciate your guidance :)

No, not really. There are specific country forums for each of those (for the UK there is "Moving Back to the UK"), except Zimbabwe, and I don't think we have any regular members in Zimbabwe. However there is an Africa forum, but it doesn't see much traffic.

What I would say is that if you start posting in all of the forums simultaneously, especially as a new member, you may irritate some people, so I would recommend focusing, or at least starting, where your greatest interest is. And I might be wrong, but I don't think there is a retirement visa or a "non-dependent family members" visa for New Zealand. Maybe you could start in the NZ forum to investigate if it is even a possibility. :unsure:

BEVS Apr 7th 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by BazzaCH (Post 12666727)
Hi All, just joined and will be looking for advice on retirement destinations with separate posts. I am originally from Zimbabwe, lived in the UK for 20 years before coming to China on expat assignment for last 4 years. look forward to chatting.

Okey Dokey. Folks around the place should be able to help and guide with this a little which in turn might help you both. Here are a couple of links to help get you started.

Far East and Asia

New Zealand

Africa

UK

Welcome to BE . Any probs give myself or one of the concierges or moderators a shout.