Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact

Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact

Old Jun 7th 2014, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Toblerone02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact

My question is this. How do I get my ever so slightly damaged passport (little bends on corner of data (bio) page) replaced by the IPS whilst ensuring they do not cut though the page with my still valid ( 3 years left) b2 visa on?

I am aware that I can still travel with my original b2 visa on my old passport as long as it is not damaged in any way I.e passport office cuts corner off when canceling passport, as long as I have my new current uk passport as identification.

My worry is how do I make sure they do not cut through my b2 visa stamp page when cutting the corners off my passport to cancel it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:21 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact

Hi and welcome to the forum

You're currently posting in the Welcome Inn which is an introductory section and covers the whole planet.

I'm in Malaysia and I haven't the foggiest what a B2 visa is so....let us know what country you are in, and we'll try and point you in the right direction.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi I'm in the uk. Sorry new to this.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Reading between the lines ; here goes

You're currently on vacation in the UK renewing passport whilst there , and don't want them to cut your US B2 visa so you can travel back to the US and enter on your visa... Am i right?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Reading between the lines ; here goes

You're currently on vacation in the UK renewing passport whilst there , and don't want them to cut your US B2 visa so you can travel back to the US and enter on your visa... Am i right?
The OP has since posted and received answers in the US Imm. Forum.

Welcome to BE Toblerone02.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact

I'm a uk citizen living in the uk, going on my honeymoon to the usa, but wanting to renew a slightly damaged passport and yes that old passport has my usa b2 visitors visa in it. I want to travel with a new passport and my old passport with my still valid visa in my old passport.

But I belive iv had the answers I need, thank you anyway.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you get a visa when you could have just got a biometric passport and applied for ESTA? The one you get when you renew will be biometric anyway so now you've spent double for the "proper" visa and now a new passport! The esta from memory only costs $14 so it would be much cheaper than the "proper" visa.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact

My passport is a biometric passport. I am also not entitled to travel via the visa waiver program due to other personal details. So I applied for a b2 visitors visa as I needed too, which was subsequently stamped onto my passport. Not because I wanted to waste a lot of money when I could just pay $14 for an ESTA. (Yes it is $14).

I have however used my passport rather a lot since that and the page corners (including the bio- data page) have curled and on the bio-data page the laminate has ever so slightly lifted. Less than 1mm. However I do not want to risk traveling with it so am most likely going to apply for a passport renewal and will have to pay the passport renewal fee. (Which I would have had to pay anyway in a few years time). So the money spent it incidental.

But I don't suppose you have any actual helpful advise regarding my original post do you?
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Toblerone02
My passport is a biometric passport. I am also not entitled to travel via the visa waiver program due to other personal details. So I applied for a b2 visitors visa as I needed too, which was subsequently stamped onto my passport. Not because I wanted to waste a lot of money when I could just pay $14 for an ESTA. (Yes it is $14).

I have however used my passport rather a lot since that and the page corners (including the bio- data page) have curled and on the bio-data page the laminate has ever so slightly lifted. Less than 1mm. However I do not want to risk traveling with it so am most likely going to apply for a passport renewal and will have to pay the passport renewal fee. (Which I would have had to pay anyway in a few years time). So the money spent it incidental.

But I don't suppose you have any actual helpful advise regarding my original post do you?

Ah - didn't know that sorry... Sometimes people aren't aware of ESTA so just wanted to make it known

And no not really, seeing as i've never been in that experience before ... Just thought i'd mention that it was most likely you didnt need a tourist visa and could have just got ESTA but that wasn't the case.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Yep. All too aware of the procedures of us immigration unfortunately. Far to much time spent looking through and researching it.

Thanks for your input all the same.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Toblerone02
Yep. All too aware of the procedures of us immigration unfortunately. Far to much time spent looking through and researching it.

Thanks for your input all the same.
Yup... It can be tedious even for us Canadian citizens at times... Personally I think they go too over the top but oh well
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:16 am
Just Joined

I have tried to attach a few photos of my passport for people to give there opinion in whether on not they think it constitutes damage or not, however I'm not sure the attachments have actualy been attached lol
Attached Thumbnails Renewing passport with valid b2 visa still intact-image.jpg  

Last edited by Toblerone02; Jun 12th 2014 at 7:34 am.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Another
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Front cover with creases

Last edited by Toblerone02; Jun 12th 2014 at 10:10 am.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Other corner on photo side (the card board is just to cover details)

Last edited by Toblerone02; Jun 12th 2014 at 10:17 am.