British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Ready to be home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/ready-home-773657/)

3yearsandcounting Oct 4th 2012 11:46 pm

Ready to be home

Hi there. I moved to South Carolina when I was 19 with my parents, gran and brother. I married an Irish fella and we have an 11 year old son. My husband and I both feel like we have never fit in here in the us. I have citizenship and he is eligible to get citizenship too. We have a very successful business here and are comfortable. We just returned from a visit to Yorkshire...home...and have made the decision to save up and move back the summer of 2015. My son would be able to begin studying for gcse at aged 14. He is a very talented soccer player and we feel like he would have more opportunity in england to take to a higher level. He is a very mature, well mannered, Caring kid and one worry is how street smart the kids in england are (at least how I remember) I would hate for him not to fit in. I would miss my parents and brother and niece and the blue skies are a plus but there is nothing else keeping me in the US. I worry about the job market right now. Seems like finding work is difficult at the moment. But overall, I'm pretty much obsessed with being back in the UK. I feel like I can breathe when I'm there. Like I belong. My husband has been away from
His family in Dublin for 20 years and is excited to be a $60 Ryanair flight away from them. Will keep posted on our progress. As soon as we have the funds and have sold our house and business we will be outta here.

dreadsoc Oct 6th 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Ready to be home

Originally Posted by 3yearsandcounting (Post 10314094)
Hi there. I moved to South Carolina when I was 19 with my parents, gran and brother. I married an Irish fella and we have an 11 year old son. My husband and I both feel like we have never fit in here in the us. I have citizenship and he is eligible to get citizenship too. We have a very successful business here and are comfortable. We just returned from a visit to Yorkshire...home...and have made the decision to save up and move back the summer of 2015. My son would be able to begin studying for gcse at aged 14. He is a very talented soccer player and we feel like he would have more opportunity in england to take to a higher level. He is a very mature, well mannered, Caring kid and one worry is how street smart the kids in england are (at least how I remember) I would hate for him not to fit in. I would miss my parents and brother and niece and the blue skies are a plus but there is nothing else keeping me in the US. I worry about the job market right now. Seems like finding work is difficult at the moment. But overall, I'm pretty much obsessed with being back in the UK. I feel like I can breathe when I'm there. Like I belong. My husband has been away from
His family in Dublin for 20 years and is excited to be a $60 Ryanair flight away from them. Will keep posted on our progress. As soon as we have the funds and have sold our house and business we will be outta here.

Hi there

First of all welcome to BE...you won;t be surprised to know that you are not the only person who feels that pull to return to the fair shores of England.

We have a forum especially for folks like yourself called the 'Moving back to the UK' forum. You will find it by clicking the 'forum index' tab on the top left of this page, scroll down and you will see the title...double click on that and you're in.

Pop over and say hi to those who have either made the retirn move or are doing so, or are thinking about doing so, it's a great way to find out information.

And hey don;t worry about your boy fitting in...if he's a good footballer, he won;t have a problem in England !

Dread - x

3yearsandcounting Oct 6th 2012 7:28 pm

Hey. I just posted something on that forum. Thanks for the heads up. This site is so helpful and encouraging.

Rosemary Oct 7th 2012 3:11 pm

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary